Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Raring 13.04: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

Beans

Ubuntu Raring 13.04: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

The Good: Finally, I have an Ubuntu release (64-bit Raring 13.04) where an upgrade path worked flawlessly instead of having to do a fresh install and reinstall all of my software and configurations.

The new icons and lenses.

Application swiching from the Unity menu (IE: Open several Firefox windows (not tabs) and easily switch between them.

The Bad: In my workflow, I was used to selecting the gear icon and choosing "About This Computer" in Ubuntu Quetzel 12.10 and the system would run a software update check and notify me that I could install the updates within the Details window that appeared. Now I have to select Dash, type "Software Updater", and select the Software Updater program. Not as elegant as the prior release and will probably go unnoticed if you never used Ubuntu that way.

Steam Games graphics are slower, not faster, with this update (IE: Serious Sam 3 and other FPS games for Linux)

The Ugly: Skype does not work if you are using NVidia or AMD proprietary drivers and requires a workaround as stated here: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/fix-s...untu-1304.html

Now that I have to use "Software Updater" to check for Ubuntu updates, why didn't developers change the name of "Software & Updates" which lists which repositories are being used? This is confusing to users; "Software Updater" and "Software & Updates" that perform differing functions.

Google Chrome can't be installed on fresh installations due to the same bug that affects Skype. See workaround here: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/7-thi...ng-ubuntu.html

Sound issues also can occur after upgrading to Ubuntu Raring 13.04. See the workaround here: http://linuxg.net/how-to-fix-the-no-...-ubuntu-13-04/

Overall, I'm just "OK" with this update. I love Ubuntu, but upgrade time can be a chore. What's your Good/Bad/Ugly experience?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Raring 13.04: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

This isn't a support question, moved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Non-free packages can be, unfortunately, expected to have problems on a new release.
    The chromium project is working on the chrome problem at least.
    Who knows what microsoft is doing about the skype problem.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Might be a option of backing up to 12.04 LTS for better stability of the common thing you using. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Michael Nelson -=- AKA: Mopar1973Man

Beans

Separate X screens option still doesn't function. Twinview allows one to have different resolutions for different monitors but twinview is not separate X screens. I had numerous issues trying to work in twinview in the same way I worked in separate X screens. Too many to enumerate. They are just not the same thing.

I still don't appreciate Dash. Its not even ballpark as simple and intuitive as having files organized in well labelled folders. It's also slower. Is that because it is going online to look for unnecessary and unwanted 'suggestions'? I can do that myself if I'm interested. It's just a start menu button without folders organizing the files.

Changing workstations. I used to just right click on the top bar of any window and select 'move to the workstaion right' or whatever. After some fooling around I discovered that I have to leave full screen mode to get this option.

Which leads to the whole issue of the window menu options all being on the same bar at the top. I guess having other windows just plain disappear without any explanation or help whatsoever whenever a new window is open is a consequence of moving the window menu. Definitely slower, not to mention the learning curve when compared to just clicking the name of the window along some bar at the bottom of the screen to change screens. Many, many issues with this inexplicable, unnecessary change. The fact that the menu options aren't visible unless the mouse is nearby caused me a lot of grief. How about some tooltips? Not to mention looking for my lost windows, panic at the thought of having lost something important, apprehension of openning new windows. Wasted time looking for old windows and waiting for them to open again. It's slow and it slows me down.

Lots of niggly issues with software I've openned. Too many to list. I chose a destination folder for transmission dls yet every time I open it that folder has changed. Apparently randomly but I don't know for sure.

Libre Office presentation. When openned my mouse became sticky and clicking on things didn't seem to work. My PC is powerful enough for any OS on the market for the public.

The wallpaper selection is not as nice this time. A couple nice pics and a lot of boring, fuzzy coloured things. I like landscapes on my desktop, I don't like PC art so that's only a personal issue.

It looks nice. If they could improve the Dash to make it more user friendly, organized and stop it from going online and then repair the separate X screen functionality and finally leave the window menu options on the windows that they are meant for. it would be great.

So for me it's close but no cigar. I need skype for work at times so that's a big (financial) problem for me if it doesn't work. Make Dash user friendly, get back separate X- screen, fix Skype. Ubuntu 13 just feels kind of amateurish. The way simple things don't work or are unfathomably unintuitive. Kind of like some kids first stab at making an OS. Of course he knows where everything is and how it works, he wrote it but little thought given to end users and what their experience might be. Especially those that just expect things to work.

I dual boot with Mint Mate 13 and all those work so Ubuntu 13 is just a plaything for me atm.
    Last edited by VietCanada; April 29th, 2013 at 06:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I did an "in-place" upgrade from 12.10

Good

- Like some of the new icons better than the old ones.
    - The "files" application that replaced the home icon seems to open a bit faster, and the new look/icons on the left pane are nice.
    - None of my 3rd party applications were broken and still function normally after the upgrade. (With one minor caveat, see "Ugly")
    - My wife, who isn't terribly techy, didn't even notice I had upgraded the computer.

Bad

See "Ugly".

Ugly

- Google Chrome has this issue where some things (not always flash) look all garbled, like an old NES cartridge when it freezes mid-game or something.
    - There seems to be some weird flash issues that did not exist for me in 12.10. I've had some flakey issues with both peppermint flash and the Adobe flash from the Ubuntu repos. In 12.10, the Ubuntu release of Adobe flash worked fine, and for the most part it still does, but I had a video freeze in fullscreen, and had to CTRL+ALT+F1, issue a "killall firefox", then CTRL+ALT+F7 back in order to regain control of my computer.
    Last edited by gerowen; April 29th, 2013 at 07:06 AM. Reason: cleanup
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -- Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@VietCanada: regarding the dash going online...that is by default but they provide an easy way to turn it off...just go to privacy in system settings and turn the buttons off...no more online searches...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    @VietCanada: regarding the dash going online...that is by default but they provide an easy way to turn it off...just go to privacy in system settings and turn the buttons off...no more online searches...
    Thanx, I unstalled Amazon while I was at it too.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by stevedude View Post
    ... The Ugly: Skype does not work if you are using NVidia or AMD proprietary drivers and requires a workaround as stated here: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/fix-s...untu-1304.html

(....)

Google Chrome can't be installed on fresh installations due to the same bug that affects Skype. See workaround here: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/7-thi...ng-ubuntu.html
    Are these issues isolated to the Unity DE, or do they effect all respins: Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc...?

Beans

@VTPoet; I don't know off-hand, but if they are based on Ubuntu 13.04 it may impact those. Sorry I can't be more definitive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast