Thread: Can I install AMD proprietary drivers for ATI Radeon HD 3200 in Ubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Can I install AMD proprietary drivers for ATI Radeon HD 3200 in Ubuntu 13.04

Well, the question comes out in the title pretty clear... On the AMD driver website it reads the following:

"Automated installer and Display Drivers for Xorg 6.9 to Xserver 1.12 and Kernel version up to 3.4"

I guess raring ringtail has later versions, but I wonder is there a way to install these drivers anyway...
    Last edited by hil4vitkutin; April 28th, 2013 at 01:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Can I install AMD proprietary drivers for ATI Radeon HD 3200 in Ubuntu 13.04

Basically -- NO. AMD dropped restricted Linux driver support for the HD 2x/3x/4x series last summer -- and now, their drivers will not work with 12.10 or 13.04 because the newer Ubuntu versions uses a new X-server version which is not compatible with the older drivers.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Can I install AMD proprietary drivers for ATI Radeon HD 3200 in Ubuntu 13.04

Okay thanks for the reply, fortunately the open-source drivers work well, gaming performance is only a bit low.

Beans

Okay thanks for the reply, fortunately the open-source drivers work well, gaming performance is only a bit low.

Beans

Goog morning..

Sorry of my english. I am brazilian.

In my laptop the driver of ATI Radeon HD3200 work fine in the legacy driver.

How to:

Add repository:
    # add-apt-repository ppa:makson96/fglrx

Install driver:
    # apt-get install fglrx-legacy

Make the conf file with command:
    # aticonfig --initial

Configure your adapter in utilite AMD:
    # amdcccle

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

STOP before doing the process suggested above. I am becoming increasingly disturbed by the fact that such methods are carelessly tossed out as "solutions" when they are actually hacks that could cause a lot of trouble down the road.

It is one of many automated methods for downgrading X Server, changing the kernel and installing the legacy driver. In effect, it breaks your Ubuntu install in ways you may not understand. Nobody knows for sure what difficulties may arise in the future when you update your system. You may run into dependency issues. You may not be able to make critical security updates to your kernel.

If the open source driver suits your needs, just use it.

If not, you would be much better off going back to 12.04 or 12.04.1, which will work with the proprietary driver in the repo. It is supported for 4 more years and you will not risk breakage.

Be advised that 12.04.2 will not work this way since it uses a different kernel and X Server from 12.04 and 12.04.1, just as 12.10 does. So, if you want to use 12.04 with those cards, do not use 12.04.2.
    Last edited by QIII; May 17th, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

i have ati 7770. but i m unable to install .run file. plz help with code. thank u

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hi, Tjkhan!

It would be best for you to start a new thread rather than hijacking this one.

Yours is a different problem and your question will probably not get the attention you want here.

Thanks and best wishes.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

I'm familiar with that downgrading process... It doesn't sound very good to downgrade just parts of the system.

And yes, the performance I get with the open source drivers suit well my needs. Simple games run well with them

I'll rather use the latest Ubuntu than use older version just to get better performance with my video card – cool features just keep coming
    Last edited by hil4vitkutin; May 18th, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
    It's a kind of magic.