Thread: Installed 13.04. Now Admin Passwords Not Accepted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Installed 13.04. Now Admin Passwords Not Accepted

Hi All,

I have successfully ugraded to Raring Ringtail and so far all is well. However some applications, such as Gnome Commander and hp-setup, that request my admin password, do not accept my input. How can I solve this problem, please note that I can log in OK using the same password and apps like Synaptic accept it.
    Thanks in advance,

Mr Fredrick.
    Dell Latitude E6520 laptopIntel Core i7-2760QM8GB RAMnVidia NVS 4200M (GDDR3 512MB)FHD (1920 x 1080) LED DisplaySamsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Installed 13.04. Now Admin Passwords Not Accepted

It sounds as though you need to set sudo mode from gksu-properties. Run this from a terminal:

Code:
    gksu-properties
    If authentication mode is set to "su", change this to "sudo" and you should be OK. If this doesn't work, post back.

Background: there's been a change in Raring. It doesn't come with gksu pre-installed - it's on the live session but doesn't get to be installed to the permanent installation. If you install the package gksu it defaults to su mode and needs to be changed to sudo as above. It's likely that you didn't install gksu yourself, but that it was brought in as a dependency with another package that you have installed. That's if su/sudo mode is the problem here.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 17.10 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Yes, that is the problem. Why gksu has been left out is anyone's guess. Not mine. Particularly as many forum posts and Howtos rely on the editing of files owned by root and tell you to use 'gksu gedit filename'. Leaving it out was a big mistake.
    Last edited by timgood; April 27th, 2013 at 05:11 PM.
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Guessing is not necessary, and no mistake. It's a policy decision to replace gksu with pkexec. This is the best explanation I could find in a hurry:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/28430.../284717#284717

No doubt there is more background to this thinking in the dev mailing lists somewhere.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 17.10 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Red face Re: Installed 13.04. Now Admin Passwords Not Accepted

Thank you for your replies, it solved my problem, otherwise I thought I would have to do a complete upgrade, and is very much appreciated.
    Dell Latitude E6520 laptopIntel Core i7-2760QM8GB RAMnVidia NVS 4200M (GDDR3 512MB)FHD (1920 x 1080) LED DisplaySamsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

Beans

Useful, thanks.

Beans

Timely & needed info. Thanks