Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 13.04 is extremely slow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 13.04 is extremely slow

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlynmac View Post
    No where in your OP did you make a support request, all you did was rant.

I'm always amazed when users come here to complain about a new release, after failing to test said release. Just expecting their system to be fully compatible and functional with a new version. Why not try Xubuntu 13.04, I'm testing it on a Zareason mini with a dual core Intel processor (1.1gig) and 2 gigs of ram. It is a little slower than Xubuntu 12.04, but still quite snappy and after removing all the unnecessary notifications, etc. the performance did improved. Still not to the level of 12.04.

I don't recall reading anywhere that Canonical was trying to produce a Windows killer OS. I see all of Linux as a choice, should one be dissatisfied with a distro or version - there's certainly plenty of others to choose from. I'll never understand why a user would install a new version without testing and just assume their system (perhaps not even purchased specifically for Linux) will support the new release. Or, that the new release will meet their needs/expectations beyond what others report. I do find the ongoing excuses (especially regarding video) annoying after reading them for years. ATI, NVIDA, INTEL all at some point since my joining the forums, have been associated here with poor performance. I seriously doubt making excuses will improve a user's frustration and IMHO it only serves to impart failure.

If you truly wish to request support, I suggest you start a thread in the appropriate help section specifically for that purpose. One suggestion I'd make, is not to rant in a support request - but rather just note the issue. It's been my experience that the volunteers helping in those sections don't really wish to waste time reading a rant.

Just my $0.02
    +1
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans

@ victorche: I think you may just have a bad install. 13.04 is very speedy on my four year old Atom powered netbook with 2gb of ram. It boots fast, loads programs fast, and is light on resource use as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hylas de Niall View Post
    @ victorche: I think you may just have a bad install. 13.04 is very speedy on my four year old Atom powered netbook with 2gb of ram. It boots fast, loads programs fast, and is light on resource use as well.
    Well, thanks for your info! Unfortunately I've tried 3-4 installs, then update everything, several restarts... The same slow performance.

As far as I can see (doing some googling) the problem is with the Intel GMA 3600 video. It seems unsupported under Linux. The strange thing is... Ubuntu 12.04.2 is working fine in Unity 3D with the live CD. But when I install 12.04.2 there is a really dark display. The brightness is at maximum, but I can barely see anything on the screen. This is fixed if I install cedarview-drm driver, which is installed with some errors, but after reboot the brightness is Ok.

So my questions are... why Unity 3D is working fine in 12.04.2, but not in 13.04?
    And this cedarview-drm... Why it is not available under 13.04?

And one last question... Why 12.04.2 is working fine during a live session and there are brightness problems after install
    Proud Slackware Current user
    /Kernel 2.6.29.6; KDE 4.2.4; XOrg 1.6.3/
    Once you got Slack, you never turn back

Beans

I had big problems with Ubuntu and Lubuntu 12.10 and my netbook. The main problem were the drivers for GMA 3600 and it needed my several hours to fix the problems. Last week i killed accidentally my Lubuntu by starting the stupid Windows-Recovery instead of Windows and i was very affraid to try to redo the fix after reinstalling.

But Lubuntu 13.04 worked perfectly well from beginning after the complete reinstalling. The drivers for GMA 3600 seem to be included now. And there are no problems with the speed although i have only 1 GB Ram. (Asus R011cx) It works better than Windows 7 and i always use Lubuntu for normal surfing or working.

For the problems with the brightness ... on Lubuntu 12.10 i had the same problem. I have added something to grub to gain normal brightness. I think it was this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/12846...-an-acer-4741g (But i am a Linux-Noob, so do not listen to me.)
    Last edited by Baruuu; April 30th, 2013 at 10:51 AM.

Beans

Thanks, @Baruuu! As I said, my brightness looks fine after installing this cedarview-drm. Anyway, it installs with some errors. And now I don't need to fix it, as it works... The strange thing was that everything is Ok with a live session, but not after installing.

And about 13.04... I think in your case it works fast, as you're using Lubuntu. As far as I know it is a really light DE. But I am talking about the Ubuntu 13.04 here (with Unity). And I think everyone with Intel 3600 is having the same problems.

Yep, I know this is an Intel's fault as they're not providing any up-to-date drivers. But most of the netbooks do use exactly the same video cards. And most of the comments in the internet are... "Contact intel for a fix!".

I am nobody... I mean I am just a single user, who has one cheap integrated video... These things should be fixed by the major linux distributors like Canonical. They have the name and the resource to contact Intel. Not 10 or 20 users like me.

Just my 2 cents...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Some of you don't even THINK about what can HELP Vitorche, it seems.

I guess I know what is wrong, as I had the same on a quad core ASUS 1205 netbook with 12.10 in december (and several versions, distros, gdms, among them Ubuntu, xubuntu, Eeebuntu, Mint 14 Mate, Cinnamon, KDE in 32/64 bit), it felt like 50 reinstalls.
    After displaying the deskptop, processor use was 70 to 98 % an ALL FOUR cores. You couldn't even determine if your click on any icon has been recognized (so you start programs twice, which doesn't really help).
    I could not unterstand the problem as 11.10 was running on that machine properly and seamless, and, a point you cannot claim as some of you do above, I tried all these distros before with a USB stick (multisystem is really a good practice, I have round 20 OSses/systems on one stick now). Every single USB-booted (test)version did it very well, without any performance lacks, but after installing on harddisk the system was nearly not usable. So any comment like these - I took some similar ones - is pure mockery of a smart-ass.

All I needed was to install a graphics driver - it took some patience, as softwareinstllation on the last 30% of processor capacity is no fun.
    After correct installation the system ran or better - it flew. Processor use is at 10% - one of four cores - if you start a programm, the rest - e.g. when doing nothing besides system monitoring is about 2-4%.

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I'd recommend using Lubuntu 13.04 on your laptop instead of the Unity driven Ubuntu... Lubuntu is a lot lighter and much faster, especially on older hardware and will still give you a really good desktop environment to play around with...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mideal View Post
    All I needed was to install a graphics driver - it took some patience, as softwareinstllation on the last 30% of processor capacity is no fun...
    Thanks, @mideal!

But the question here is... which driver should I use? As far as I can see... Intel 3600 is not supported. Maybe there is an opensource driver or something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

AFAIK, the intel driver is open source.
    According to this the latest intel driver is on 13.04 by default (by a month ago).
    But you could try checking the updater anyway: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/intel...ler-fixed.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Intel is very linux friendly...their proprietary driver is the same as their open source one...that's why no optional driver is offered by ubuntu...cause there isn't one
    Last edited by craig10x; April 30th, 2013 at 06:51 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast