Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to install Ubuntu 13.04 Desktop on new PC

Beans

Unable to install Ubuntu 13.04 Desktop on new PC

Hi All,

I have bought a new PC hardware in order to install Ubuntu 13.04 Desktop, but was unable to install it.

I downloaded the new iso "ubuntu-13.04-desktop-i386.iso", burnet it on a DVD and booted to it.

Most times I never get passt the word "Ubuntu" with the dots scroling underneath it, other times i managed to get passt that and clicking on "Try Ubuntu" i get to the desktop after long time.

The new motherboard that I am using is a Gigabyte F2A85XM-D3H with a AMD processor, 20GB SSD, 8GB RAM, and a dual UEFI BIOS.

I finally got tired and installed Linuxmint 14 in 10 minutes without any problems what so ever.

Any one has experienced issues of that kind?

many thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Unable to install Ubuntu 13.04 Desktop on new PC

UEFI requires you use 64 bit any way
    You may also need to use nomodeset boot argument
    See also: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    UEFI requires you use 64 bit any way
    You may also need to use nomodeset boot argument
    See also: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    FWIW

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop indeed says "If you have a PC with the Windows 8 logo or UEFI firmware, choose the 64-bit download.". I would find it useful if the i386 Ubuntu version would check for UEFI, and if so, bail out and advice the 64-bit version. Just like the 64-bit install does when you try to run it on 32-bit

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    FWIW

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop indeed says "If you have a PC with the Windows 8 logo or UEFI firmware, choose the 64-bit download.". I would find it useful if the i386 Ubuntu version would check for UEFI, and if so, bail out and advice the 64-bit version. Just like the 64-bit install does when you try to run it on 32-bit
    +1
    Good idea

Beans
    Hidden!

I was adviced to report it as a bug in Launchpad (with credit to sanderj)

Here it is: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1173527

Please add 'This bug affects me' if you feel like it

Beans

Many thanks for all your replies. I will try tonight to install the 64-bit version, my only worry now is that my brand new motherboard and CPU may not support 64-bit. Will report later tonight anyway.

One thing worth mentioning is that my BIOS supports both modes of operation. There is actually a setting in there that allows me to change the mode of the BIOS and chose one of the following options:

UEFI+Legacy
    UEFI only
    Legacy only

The default setting was UEFI+Legacy, and I did change it to "Legacy only" and I still had the same problem.

The point that I would also like to mention to "Sanderj" is that there are no logos on the PC, i purchased all the parts and put the whole thing together.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    Gigabyte F2A85XM-D3H I would find it amazing if this were not a 64bit board. It even supports memory configurations that haven't been developed yet via bios/firmware update. Legacy just means non UEFI and NOT non advanced 64 bit architect. With a UEFI board in most cases you will need a 64 bit system even with UEFI turned off (legacy). Some boards may not support linux in either case.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!
    (With Proposed enabled!)

Beans

I have a similar problem. December last I bought a new computer to replace an old one and I would really like to test Linux for the first time.I tried with 12.04 and now with 13.04 and I can't get into the installer. I boot up the PC with DVD in drive, the isolinux is loaded, the purple screen is shown but after that I have a black screen with a yellow dollar sign in a red background, frozen.My configuration (most important, at least):Intel IvyBridge Core i5 3.7 Ghz.8G RAMHD 500 GBMoBo: ASUS P8H61M-PROThe first time I tried (12.04) I remember I downloaded the ISO several times, I burned it several times, in different disks (R and RW) in different computers, tried to install it in a flash drive and nothing worked. This time, however, I tried just once, in DVD-RW disk.
    Last edited by Bruno Augusto; April 29th, 2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Add linebreaks again?

Beans

I have downloaded and burned the 64-bit version on a DVD.

I now can boot from the dvd. But I am still getting funny behaviours while trying it without installing. All icons on the vertical launch bar keep flickering all the time, especially when hovering the mouse over them, some disappear momentarily leaving an empty square box until they come back again.

I have changed the BIOS to different settings and no matter what I did, the behaviour is still the same, tried UEFI only, UEFI+Legacy, none of it work OK.

And to add to the problem, i burnt the older 32-bit 12.04 version and to my dismay i had the exact same behaviour, which indicates that it could be a hardware issue relating to the new motherboard and/or chipset. Upon contacting Gigabyte, they replied that the board doesn't support Linux since the chipset manufacturer didn't supply any drivers for Linux, what a load of....

Linuxmint 14.0 installs like a dream in 10 mins and works perfectly, but using Linuxmint to me feels like going back in time, I would rather use Ubuntu and unity instead.

Any ideas where to go from here?

Thanks for your support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Use what works or you are going to get very frustrated
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast