Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Failure to boot up!

Beans

Re: Failure to boot up!

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    What do you mean by "Ubuntu Screen?" Do you mean the beginning part of booting the DVD? As soon as you see that, hit the Esc key and see if you can get a boot menu. One of the choices in the menu is Memtest. Try running it. If you get errors, then one or more(?) of your RAM sticks may be bad.

If there are no Memtest errors but you still can't boot the live CD/live USB, try unplugging the hard drive and see if you can boot again. If you are then able to boot the disc without a hard drive, maybe the hard drive has completely failed. Sometimes a completely failed hard drive will cause a system to hang when trying to boot.
    I get to here: http://www.linoob.com/wp-content/upl...Bootscreen.png
    I don't think the hard drive has failed. It was working and then boom after a reboot it fails?

Beans

By that time shown in your picture, you can't choose a boot menu. You need to hit the Esc key earlier, as soon as you see this screen (or one very similar - I think this is 12.04):

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Fjw6yl1x3Z...s1600/boot.png

Once you hit the Esc key (hit it a few times) you should get a menu. Run Memtest from the menu.

If you never see that screen - are you sure that isn't your hard drive booting instead of the disc?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    By that time shown in your picture, you can't choose a boot menu. You need to hit the Esc key earlier, as soon as you see this screen (or one very similar - I think this is 12.04):

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Fjw6yl1x3Z...s1600/boot.png

Once you hit the Esc key (hit it a few times) you should get a menu. Run Memtest from the menu.

If you never see that screen - are you sure that isn't your hard drive booting instead of the disc?
    If I boot from my hard drive, after bios it goes blank. I used to get to the Ubuntu boot screen but now it just goes blank.

Beans

OK, you need to boot from the original CD/DVD or live USB you used to install - not from the hard drive. If you can do that, you can test the RAM and the hard drive.

Do still have an Ubuntu DVD or live USB to boot from? Do you know how to boot from it instead of from the hard drive?

Yes, I know your hard drive worked until this problem. Hard drives can fail suddenly. Don't make any assumptions - test the drive anyway.

Beans

ok thanks I will test the hard drive. When i boot up from the disc I hit esc a couple times. Then I go to mem test. Alright thanks I am going to try it and get back to you on that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12