Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: About mounting and drives

Beans

Re: About mounting and drives

Okay, here it is:

/dev/sda1: LABEL="Dados" UUID="1AE44D4E7FAC3291" TYPE="ntfs" /dev/sdb1: LABEL="Reservado pelo Sistema" UUID="20EC0DE2EC0DB358" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sdb2: UUID="439C84FD7C3235B2" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sdb6: UUID="85152222-dd58-479d-aaaa-0c24b4084ff6" TYPE="ext4"
    ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/:

total 0lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Apr 28 18:17 1AE44D4E7FAC3291 -> ../../sda1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Apr 28 18:17 20EC0DE2EC0DB358 -> ../../sdb1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Apr 28 18:17 439C84FD7C3235B2 -> ../../sdb2
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Apr 28 18:17 85152222-dd58-479d-aaaa-0c24b4084ff6 -> ../../sdb6
    cat /etc/fstab:

#Entry for /dev/sdb6 :UUID=85152222-dd58-479d-aaaa-0c24b4084ff6 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    #Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
    UUID=20EC0DE2EC0DB358 /media/Reservado_pelo_Sistema ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0
    #Entry for /dev/sda1 :
    UUID=1AE44D4E7FAC3291 /media/Dados ntfs-3g auto,users,permissions 0 0
    #Entry for /dev/sdb2 :
    UUID=FED69132D690EBE1 /media/sdb2 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=0222 00
    /dev/mapper/cryptswap1 none swap sw 0 0

#UUID=ba871abd-fe9e-4c7f-abfe-121fee469da1 none swap sw 0 0
    To clarify things, I have two HDs, the first one has two partitions with Xubuntu and Windows 8, and second one is just for data (called Dados there). Is that data drive I want to automount at first. Since Windows 8 completely sucks, I just formatted his partition in my primary HD (still with ntfs, intend to install Windows 7 there afterwards), and it is this one unlabelled in the blkid.
    So, the Data drive is automatically mounting now, I just have to deal with that little mess with in the fstab file. According to my understanding, it's confusing the old windows partition with the swap partition. Is that right?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

pianist16;

Got to straighten up your fstab to match the mount points that are established in the "/media" directory.
    sda1:should be:
    UUID=1AE44D4E7FAC3291 /media/hauck/Dados ntfs-3g auto,users,permissions 0 0
    sdb1 == Window's operating system and should have the mount point of "/media/hauck/HAUCK" not /media/Reservado_pelo_Sistema .
    If you insist on mounting the Windows OS in ubuntu - NOT a good idea then make it's mounting access rights as you have it for the sda1 partition.
    UUID=20EC0DE2EC0DB358 /media/hauck/HAUCK ntfs-3g auto,users,permissions 0 0
    sdb2: now;FED69132D690EBE1 is incorrect and should be ;439C84FD7C3235B2. There is no valid mount point for this partition and one must be made:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/hauck/data
    such that the fstab line beomes:
    UUID=439C84FD7C3235B2 /media/hauck/data ntfs-3g auto,users,permissions 0 0
    Remember ---> make a copy of the current /etc/fstab file prior to making your corrections to this file.
    Code:
    gksudo thunar /etc/fstab
    IF thunar is the editor you are using.
    Then save that edited file prior to exiting.
    In terminal run terminal code:
    Code:
    mount -a
    if there is no result from the mount command that is a good thing, means all is well !
    Else: post the errors that are generated.

This I expect will fix you up properly; mounting 3 NTFS partitions, /home and a encrypted swap partitions(5 entries in /etc/fstab file).

all good now ?
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Okay, everything seems fine and working now! I think I'm even starting to understand all that thing a little better.

Just get me rid of a curiosity: why changing the sda1 (which was working normally) from /media/Dados to /media/hauck/Dados? Also with the other drives. Is there a point behind that?

Beans
    Distro

pianist16;
    Let me see if I can explain - an old adage is:if you can not teach you do not understand --
    do in terminal:
    Code:
    ls -la /media
    ls -la /media/hauck
    la -la /media/hauck/Dados
    Now mount the Dados partition and do:
    Code:
    ls -la /media/hauck/Dados
    Thus ...a partition is a device that contains a file system. In order to access said file system one has to attach that file system to ubuntu's file system. This is done with what is called a mount point (here: /media/hauck/Dados) and the device (sda1 or sdb2 or whatever) ,that is a partition, is related to that mount point through a File System TABle (gvfs-fuse-daemon is another way too).

With that said, the mount point can be in any directory one chooses, but, later versions of 'buntu are making the "default" location of these mount points in /media/<username>/<descriptive_title>. In this instance I am following that standard. Mounting in media has the advantage that the file manager 'sees' the mount point and through .gvfs can do the mounting in the GUI.

clear as mud ??

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Understood! Thank you very much for your help and DuckHook too!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    clear as mud ??
    Linux is permanently, endlessly, eternally and absolutely as clear as mud.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah ! And that keeps me entertained. I will never know all I want to know about this fascinating Operating System. Very thankful to those thousands who have provided documentation.
    Now in my old age, if I only had an application to apply all this effort too - believe me, I think about that a lot !

still learning even after all these years

@ pianist16;

As you are content with the solution, please mark this thread "solved":
    Interim method:
    Go to the first post in your thread. Click on "Edit Post". Now click on the orange "Go Advanced" button. In the advanced editor change the prefix to "SOLVED". Now click on the orange "Save Changes" button.

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

It's unlikely you will change anything at this point since it's taken you so long to get to this point but in case others stumble upon this topic there are some fundamental problems with this setup:

[1] Based on the output of blkid it appears that:
    UUID="1AE44D4E7FAC3291" = The "Data" partition ( i.e., sda1 )
    UUID="20EC0DE2EC0DB358" = The "System Reserved" partition ( i.e., sdb1 ) not the Windows OS partition
    UUID="439C84FD7C3235B2" = The Windows OS partition ( i.e., sdb2 )

[2] If you add entries for partitions in fstab avoid the /media/$USER directory.

You have already posted the reason why:
    ls -la /media/hauck
    total 16drwxr-x---+ 4 root root 4096 Apr 27 14:24 .
    At first glance that appears to only allow root access to anything contained withing that directory. But you will notice that at the end of the permissions part of the line is a "+". That indicates that Access Control Lists are in control of who can access folder. If you run the following command you will see that only "hauck" has access to anything past that point in the path:
    Code:
    getfacl -t /media/hauck
    ** Have multiple users on your system and they will not be able to gain access.
    ** Try to share folders on that partition across the network using Samba and you will need to modify a few things because only "hauck" will be permitted access.

Your original instinct was correct - these should be placed in /media directly as in /media/Data.... or in /mnt or just about anywhere else.

[3] But by far the most dangerous thing you are doing is using the "permissions" option.

The standard way one mounts an ntfs partition is to create a "view" of the partition such that it appears to have Linux ownership and permissions bit's when in fact they do not. The "permissions" option breaks this by allowing Linux the ability to change the attributes of files within NTFS itself. One can do that but it requires more than just adding a option to fstab since "maps" must be created within Linux and Windows that converts Linux users to Windows users. It's not something that one should do without serious consideration and should certainly be avoided in a dual boot situation.

If you do noting else I would highly recommend you remove the "permissions" option from your fstab entries. We in this forum should not be in the business of repairing, restoring, and offering assistance to reinstall Windows.
    Last edited by Morbius1; April 29th, 2013 at 01:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro

@ Morbius1;

Appreciate your input and instruction, I regret in my haste to reach a solution I did not properly follow through. For future consideration I take these conclusions to heart.

garbage in - garbage out

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    ...in case others stumble upon this topic there are some fundamental problems with this setup...
    It's always worthwhile reading what you have to say. Thanks for teaching me many new things today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast