Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: favourite distros

Beans

Re: favourite distros

I think Cinnamon's new version which will come with Mint 15 is on Gnome 3.6 which is what Raring uses, so what incompatibility do you mean? The only problems is that distros like Arch have a broken cinnamon because they use bleeding-edge Gnome which is incompatible. But Linux Mint distro itself is likely to be fine. Right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DisappearingOak View Post
    I think Cinnamon's new version which will come with Mint 15 is on Gnome 3.6 which is what Raring uses, so what incompatibility do you mean? The only problems is that distros like Arch have a broken cinnamon because they use bleeding-edge Gnome which is incompatible. But Linux Mint distro itself is likely to be fine. Right?
    Considering cinnamon is a mint product, I'd hope it works in their own distro
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Cinammon works with 3.6, but from what I've been reading it needs to be tweaked. As far as 3.8, major changes were made under the hood that unless Cinammon updates its code base, it won't be compatible. I'm not a coder, but from what I've read, large parts of Cinnamon are going to have to be rewritten for this to take place. Hopefully they will get things worked out. As far as Gnome 3.8 -- its horrible, but that's another topic completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Cinammon works with 3.6, but from what I've been reading it needs to be tweaked. As far as 3.8, major changes were made under the hood that unless Cinammon updates its code base, it won't be compatible. I'm not a coder, but from what I've read, large parts of Cinnamon are going to have to be rewritten for this to take place. Hopefully they will get things worked out. As far as Gnome 3.8 -- its horrible, but that's another topic completely.
    From a usability and functionality perspective, I agree I don't like it much either. But it's the only Linux desktop out there right now that doesn't look like total ___. I realize that aesthetics can be purely subjective, but it's the prime reason I just hate to use KDE, XFCE, E17, etc. Cinnamon is okay functionality wise, but I didn't find it as stable, there were minor quirks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DisappearingOak View Post
    From a usability and functionality perspective, I agree I don't like it much either. But it's the only Linux desktop out there right now that doesn't look like total ___. I realize that aesthetics can be purely subjective, but it's the prime reason I just hate to use KDE, XFCE, E17, etc. Cinnamon is okay functionality wise, but I didn't find it as stable, there were minor quirks.
    KDE annoys me. It is the David Hasselhoff and/or the mullet of the desktop environment world. However Cinnamon simply bores me. Chapeau to Clem and all that but that big panel wiv appz in the bottom lefthand corner, now where have I seen that before? Funnily enough, I adore Xfce and MATE/Gnome 2 and their quintessential dullness - I am quintessentially dull - but Cinnamon? Non merci. They've even introduced Vista-like "desklets" in the latest release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    From what I've read on cinnamon and gnome 3.8, the new clutter package is the main culprit for the breakage.

Also read somewhere(probably here in the forums) that the arch devs are working out a fix , but haven't seen anything on mint's progress.

Edit: Here http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=3686.0
    Last edited by deadflowr; May 17th, 2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: something
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!

*Main desktop
    Mint Maya Mate
    *Various old/weak computers - double/triple boot mix of
    Mint Maya XFCE
    XP
    Lubuntu 10.04
    Puppy Lucid

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I prefer Xubuntu, even with decent hardware.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345