Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 13.04 Just a few remarks about the taskbar

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: 13.04 Just a few remarks about the taskbar

Ubuntu + KDE = Kubuntu, no?

Is there any difference in what's actually under the bonnet? If not, I don't see why you'd cause yourself all the hassle of installing Ubuntu then installing KDE, when you could just install Kubuntu and be done with it.

Feathers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by montag dp View Post
    Sounds to me like by "sensible" you actually do mean "Windows 7 clone," despite your disclaimer. KDE can do everything you put on your list, but you don't like it because you have to press Super + something else instead of just Super to open the menu? That's a little unreasonable if you ask me. Be a little more flexible and you'll learn new things and have more fun.

By the way, KDE is nowhere near as bloated as Windows, if that's a problem for you. On my laptop KDE uses about 1/4 the RAM Windows 7 uses at idle.
    Pretty much this. KDE isn't nearly as bloated, and is configurable enough to make it even less bloated (interface wise). About opening the menu, I'm pretty sure you can hotkey it to just pressing Super by itself, can you not?

Anyway, there's plenty of Desktop Environments, OP. Jumping OS's because you don't feel like customizing any DE's seems pretty unnecessary.
    AMD A8-3850 2.9GHZ, G. SKILL 8GB DDR3 RAM 1666Mhz, 60GB Mushkin SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, AMD Radeon HD6550D

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
    Ubuntu + KDE = Kubuntu, no?

Is there any difference in what's actually under the bonnet? If not, I don't see why you'd cause yourself all the hassle of installing Ubuntu then installing KDE, when you could just install Kubuntu and be done with it.

Feathers
    Eh I sometimes add kde later on in some of my ubuntu installs its not that hard to do and takes the pain out of re installing the entire OS.

Quote Originally Posted by thany View Post
    By "bloated" I don't mean the memory footprint. I couldn't care less about that. I mean the sheer mount of features that too few people use. It's so clouded with features that it's hard to find what you're actually looking for. Those widgets, the level of customization, the number of themes. It's all good in a way, but is so MUCH to take it all at once. It's like Microsoft Office: it's so good that it's bad (and I do use LibreOffice, just so you know).

Everyone, thanks for replying, but I think my points remain standing. Some of them may be bugs, which must be fixed, but being "designed" that way is no excuse. That just means it's bad design. Using all kinds of tweaks and programs to make something just work normally is not a sign of a well-designed piece of software. Also the oftenly mentioned term "touch" is a big no-no when installed on a regular desktop with no touchy input. A touchable interface has no place on a non-touch device (which is why I find Windows 8 Metro disgusting on any desktop). So, on a regular desktop, Ubuntu should install itself as is easily operated by mouse and keyboard. We CAN right-click, and we DO have a pixel-precise pointer.
    Yes but KDE is pretty much the most like Windows 7 and with getting used to its pretty good.
    Sure it has features, istn that what you want?
    to have something that will work prety much exactly like windows?
    well KDE can do that no problem.
    Unity just has different goals in mind then windows, its another interface and really with some getting used to it can work.
    I dare you to go use someones apple sometime, you will be lost in the sauce and demand it be windows too.
    Last edited by MadmanRB; April 26th, 2013 at 10:56 PM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

post deleted by author. Barking up wrong tree it seems.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; April 26th, 2013 at 10:55 PM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post

Yes but KDE is pretty much the most like Windows 7
    That's why I don't like it. ; )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    That's why I don't like it. ; )
    Well you can set it up any way you like so that is one good thing about KDE.
    Make it like windows, Ubuntu, OSX whatever

Though I have two words for the OP:

Linux mint
    Last edited by MadmanRB; April 26th, 2013 at 11:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

...but which Linux Mint? Cinnamon, KDE, LMDE?

Beans

Considering he objects to KDE, I will suggest Cinnamon.
    Though by default it doesnt have the windows 7 superbar like feature but there is an extension to get something like it.
    Mate will look too "old" to his "ooh shiny!" tastes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The difference between windows 8 and unity is that windows 8 metro interface is really designed totally for touchscreens and that is why it is not so mouse friendly...Unity is quite different, it is designed to be easy to use with BOTH mouse AND touchscreens...And he obviously has never played with an Apple (MAC) computer or ever used a dock before, which is probably why unity seems so "alien" to him...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by thany View Post
    4) You can't make shortcuts on the desktop. Let me repeat that, for emphasis: YOU CAN'T MAKE SHORTCUTS ON THE DESKTOP. I mean, honestly, why?
    The desktop is not the correct place for application shortcuts when you've got a special place for the shortcuts on the left side of the screen, that will always be on top.

I'll also correct you: You can make shortcuts on the desktop with your file browser.

5) The start menu is still fullscreen. Totally overkill.
    It's not "the start menu"; that's what they have in Windows. We have the Dash, and it's only fullscreen if you've got a small screen.

6) No apparant way to browse software installed on the pc.
    Er... you kidding?

because in Linux' nature, everything should be customizable and therefor needs a menu to do just that.
    Linux grew up.

9) Why not merge the top bar and taskbar into one, like Windows does so brilliantly?
    Because it merges the title bar of maximised windows AND the menubar, too.

10) The rightclick menu for an icon (on the taskbar again) has too few options. When the application isn't running, something like properties seems missing. When it is running, maximize/restore/minimize seems missing. Also no way to open a second instance.
    You claim to be a Windows 7 user. Maximise, minimise and restore are not present in Windows 7 jumplists either. Also, as in Windows 7, you open a second instance by middle-clicking the icon.

11) The top bar fades between the application name and it's menu. Confusing. There's enough space and all the reason to keep the menu in view all the time.
    12) Maximized applications have no visible restore/minimize/close buttons (only invisible ones, made visible by hovering the top bar). Confusing.
    Earlier, you wanted to merge everything into one bar, and now you want to unfold everything again because "there's enough space". You might have missed it if you weren't using computers back then, but one of the reasons Firefox became so popular is because it ditched most of the "chrome" in favour of giving the user more space for their content. Funnily enough, when Google Chrome came along that was one of its big selling points too. People prefer to have usable screen space for their content, not taken up by the operating system.

That's it for now. Back to Windows 7 again, which does all of these things right. Disclaimer: I'm not looking for a Windows 7 clone!
    I can tell, some of your criticisms about Unity are also criticisms about Windows 7, which funnily enough "does all of these things right".

KDE is not a sensible one either, it's bloated and the start button (on the keyboard) doesn't even work.
    Enjoy Windows 7. Unfortunately it sounds like you'll be completely unable to switch to anything else in 2020 when Windows 7 runs out of support.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast