Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open source

Beans

Re: Open source

Quote Originally Posted by Tesseract007 View Post
    I just had a question. How can I take a peek at the open source code and if I wanted to modify it a little how do you do that? What programing language would I use.
    You would have to use the language the project was written in. Find would where the community for the project resides on the net and make your queries there.

I have Ubuntu 12.10. I will soon be upgrading to 13.0. I have another dumb question. Is it possible to see closed source programs? I know its technically not legal to mess with it. I'm just asking if it's possible just to look at it.
    Most closed-source projects do not publish the source, so no, it's not possible to view it, legally or otherwise.
    Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
    Shawn

Programming is as much about organization and communication as it is about coding.

Beans

If I wanted to modify my GUI for Ubuntu what program could I use to do that? And what would be step #1,2,3,4 etc..
    Last edited by lisati; May 18th, 2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Please use the default font size

Beans

If I wanted to modify the GUI for my desktop what program could I use. And what would be like step #1,2,3 etc? Ops I double posted sorry. You can delete one if you want I dont know how?
    Last edited by lisati; May 19th, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Please use the default font

Beans

If I wanted to modify my GUI for Ubuntu what program could I use to do that? And what would be step #1,2,3,4 etc..
    #1: Decide which component you want to modify
    #2: Download the source code to that component
    #3: Modify it in whatever language it's written.
    #4: Compile the code if necessary
    #5: Replace what you've got with that code.

You're asking a very very vague question, there's no way to give you specific instructions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you are asking this question you very likely haven't got the beginning of the skills required... If you want to do that you have to:

- become fairly proficient in C/C++ (6months minimum)
    - become very proficient with UI programming (and the relevant UI libraries, Qt, Gtk or other, depending on desktop manager used)(another 6 months)
    - become familiar with the build tools
    - become familiar with the Linux software installation setup

Then grabbing the source code of your desktop and modifying it to suit your needs becomes doable.

Beans

If you just want to rearrange your desktop a bit, try a desktop environment like KDE. You can do considerable customization without having to code anything. Unity wasn't designed to be flexible, really.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12