Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: how to change repos to Saucy

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: how to change repos to Saucy

Quote Originally Posted by serdotlinecho View Post
    I always get "404 Not Found" since 11.10 alpha...normal behaviour for pre-alpha. Dino99 is right, don't be an idiot like me. ( ._.)
    Well, you would do. Especially if you just blindly replace the distro version in a sources.list at the beginning of a development cycle without checking which repos actually exist yet. Learnt that one a long long while back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sorry, if I was the one Generating the Error Messages to the Developer's, went into my Sources List and Found Referrences Still Referring to Raring! I changed all to Saucy, now I'm Fully In for good.
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    @serdotlinecho: did that work just using the three commands, or did you have to do all those changes that pnarciso mentioned above your post?
    This is getting confusing...thought it was supposed to be just the three commands

I haven't done it yet...probably will do it on friday...but i wanted to get "straight" on what exactly to do (i am a newbie at upgrading)....

Everything is working well here after putting in just those three commands. It can also be done like this:

sudo sed -i 's/raring/saucy/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

Please note that I do not advise (nor did I advise) that this proceedure be executed on a production machine. Unless you have an extra hdd or other machines or are an experienced beta tester then stick with the safe and stable route. I have 8 towers and 3 laptops all commited to testing. It is conventional wisdom that system will break in these early stages - so unless one has an extra surplus machine then early beta testing should be deferred.

As competition would have it , Windows 8 has far exceeded Ubutnu on various form factors and so I am looking forward to this release as being the new 'setting of the bar' which will bring ubuntu up to speed. Just in my own opinion but I see raring as a sandbox/blackboarding exercise for a much more workable Saucy Salamander

regards,
    ventrical

Beans
    Distro

For me a sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list worked better than your 3 commands. I then changed all references of raring to saucy. A lsb_release -a command now shows me at 13.10 Development Branch.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm really pumped for this Saucy cycle. It seems to be pulling updates.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mathor View Post
    I'm really pumped for this Saucy cycle. It seems to be pulling updates.
    by now, its only the early "proposed" packages; all the others are renamed raring ones.

Beans
    Distro

For any one who are still having problems with software-properties-gtk crashing
    you can check this to see if the release got updated. sometimes it doesn't

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/lsb-release
    Then edit the file that opens so that it looks like this

Code:
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=13.10
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=saucy
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 13.10"
    Remember to enter which version of ubuntu you are using.

Then go back to the terminal after you have saved the lsb-release file and you should be able to add-apt-repository

taken from
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/49040/apt-could-not-find-a-distribution-template-error

Beans

I don't think it's wise to do this until you know that the new toolchain has been uploaded

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Within a few weeks, wouldn't i be able to do the upgrade through the software updater? I remember someone had posted a way of putting in like 2 terminal commands that would have the software updater bring up the option of upgrade (which i guess it normally only does when a newer version goes final)...i have my software updater set to notify of any new versions...

I was glad that at least my software updater reverted back to raring (when saucy didn't come in through the terminal) when i hit "edit" and logged into the updater cause all the check boxes had blanke dout but they come back to normal with the proper settings once i logged in....

This is why we need that new simpler method the developers are working on which will enable you to simply point to the next version when it's ready for updates...that would make life simpler with this change over business...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan815 View Post
    For me a sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list worked better than your 3 commands. I then changed all references of raring to saucy. A lsb_release -a command now shows me at 13.10 Development Branch.
    Hey .. great .. and they are not *my* three commands. They are the commands most commonly used.

If anyone wanted to know how to upgrade they could have just looked at the sticky.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1970289

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast