Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raring Ringtail Impressions

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Raring Ringtail Impressions

OK, installed it, after a few hours everything seems to run with no visible (or to annoying glitches). I decided to try it out instead of Precise, because i've been reading people's testimonials about speed and stability. No crashes so far, installed all the codecs and other stuff without problems, software center working great, and nautilus and programmes seem to open faster than in 12.04, don't know how that's possible though. but, as for unity being faster, dash seems to be slower than in 12.04 (for me). But the appearance is really nice, the new icons are OK, so as for bling bling it is nice. Would be nice to have support for 12 months, just in case the next release sucks, so we can have raring until the next LTS

Anyways, seems like a nice release, usually i had major issues with fresh releases, but raring leaves no headaches
    "Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink." - Charles Bukowski

Beans

Re: Raring Ringtail Impressions

Yeah we could petition canonical to extend support for 13.04 if it is popular and stable enough.
    Besides 13.10 will probably debut unity next and one can bet it will be a mess on first major release.
    One thing I hope for is support for the current unity up to 14.04 as unity next is bound to be troublesome and we dont want beta quality nonsense on a LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I installed beta in mid March and decided to do a fresh of the final earlier and both went extremely well .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Out of curiosity, I've attempted an upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, after a backup. I've never done an upgrade before, always clean installs, but I wanted to try and see how it goes, for experience. I've read this webpage:
    http://www.tuxtrix.com/2013/03/how-t...4-to-1304.html

After I backup, I started the upgrade ( sudo apt-get dist-upgrade ). Then I got a few errors at the end, I guess. After a reboot, LightDM was not showing the Ubuntu 13.04 logo, but still 12.04. Logged in, then I realised that probably broke Compiz / Unity / Nautilus. According to the system monitor, I was on Ubuntu 13.04, but had no way to verify.

Well, that wasn't a very good experience for my first upgrade (Wasn't expecting anything great. Just curious)! I do realise I've tried to skip 12.10, actually, for the upgrade. Maybe that wasn't a good idea.

Anyways, I restored my Ubuntu_OS partition, everything look fixed. But I stupidly replaces my Ubuntu_Home backup (I've realised I've done a second backup of Ubuntu_OS and erasing my Ubuntu_Home backup...), using Clonezilla...
    I have a working backup of my Home directory 5 days earlier. I wouldn't loose a lot of stuff (That I could backup right now anyways), but I would like to be sure:

Did the messed-up upgrade modified anything in the Home directory?
    Everything is running fine, now..

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I installed it yesterday, fresh install.

VERY nice, and very happy with it. Smooth, slick and no problems.

Beans

I hope this is a good sign of the future. I upgraded Xubuntu from 12.10 to 13.04 yesterday and nothing broke.
    The last 2 times I had to do a fresh install because the computer would not boot after upgrading and I could not figure out how to fix it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I did a fresh install.

The bad I've experienced so far:
    - The live-usb install-session seemed very sluggish. The installation itself (when it got to that point) was quick and effortless, but a lot of the preceding dialogues, including the partition manager, that required information to be typed in took forever to load. It got to the point where I questioned if the session had crashed.
    - My third harddisk has some bad sectors on it, so every time I boot Ubuntu wants to scan it for errors, then hangs if I don't skip, which is annoying. I think I had this on the old install too, but fixed it somewhere in fstab.

The good I've experienced so far:
    - Nvidia-drivers installed from "software sources" finally work! Before I had to manually download the drivers from Nvidias homepage and reinstall the drivers from the commandline every time there was a kernel-upgrade, which was quite annoying.
    - There's a noticeable speed-increase in Unity. The Dash loads almost instantly now. USC still takes some time to start, but flies after the initial loading.
    - My old install had sound-lag in VLC when starting a video which could only be circumvented by rewinding the video, this seems to have been fixed.

Glad I upgraded ^^
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ZarathustraDK View Post
    I did a fresh install.

- Nvidia-drivers installed from "software sources" finally work! Before I had to manually download the drivers from Nvidias homepage and reinstall the drivers from the commandline every time there was a kernel-upgrade, which was quite annoying.

Glad I upgraded ^^
    Huh?? I always installed the Nvidia driver from repository and it always worked. I think you only have to manually download drivers back in 9.04 or something.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Yeah we could petition canonical to extend support for 13.04 if it is popular and stable enough.
    Besides 13.10 will probably debut unity next and one can bet it will be a mess on first major release.
    One thing I hope for is support for the current unity up to 14.04 as unity next is bound to be troublesome and we dont want beta quality nonsense on a LTS
    What is Unity Next? I can't find much about it.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    What is Unity Next? I can't find much about it.
    Unity based on qt instead of compiz.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast