Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raring Ringtail Impressions

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Raring Ringtail Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Yeah we could petition canonical to extend support for 13.04 if it is popular and stable enough.
    Besides 13.10 will probably debut unity next and one can bet it will be a mess on first major release.
    One thing I hope for is support for the current unity up to 14.04 as unity next is bound to be troublesome and we dont want beta quality nonsense on a LTS
    Good luck. I don't remember a time where petitions with SABDL ever work, but maybe I just have a short memory.

Beans

I'm happy with it. Ubuntu continues to be one of the only two distros that I have been able to simply install without any compatibility issues. The wireless networking functions flawlessly. The Software Center works great, and it even installed the proprietary Nvidia drivers as part of the Installation process when given permission. Furthermore, the startup time is quick, there were no dual boot issues with windows, and the response time when working in 13.04 is snappy.

I don't consider Unity an issue, since it takes mere minutes to install Cinnamon. However, I might just give it a shot; the parents seem to like it, and they're happy that they didn't have to drop a Ben Franklin on the new Win 8.

Beans

Been using it from the start of testing and did a fresh install yesterday. Can only report one thing. No issues.

Beans

Keeping up with the testing versions since about a month ago and it seems solid here albeit in a VM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

My impression of a ringtail?
    Okay (clears throat):
    Click click click, purr, click click click...
    Wurble click, growl, click!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring-tailed_lemur

Yeah sums it up I think

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by aykoola View Post
    OK, installed it, after a few hours everything seems to run with no visible (or to annoying glitches). I decided to try it out instead of Precise, because i've been reading people's testimonials about speed and stability. No crashes so far, installed all the codecs and other stuff without problems, software center working great, and nautilus and programmes seem to open faster than in 12.04, don't know how that's possible though. but, as for unity being faster, dash seems to be slower than in 12.04 (for me). But the appearance is really nice, the new icons are OK, so as for bling bling it is nice. Would be nice to have support for 12 months, just in case the next release sucks, so we can have raring until the next LTS

Anyways, seems like a nice release, usually i had major issues with fresh releases, but raring leaves no headaches
    I did an upgrade. Went s-m-o-o-t-h-l-y !!! Not a problem. I really am not sure if its that much faster but I do know that it isn't slower. New Features, well we'll see. It takes a while to get use to them but so far not a problem.
    I think all should be commended highly for a very nice release!
    Warprunner
    This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
    ...Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

No plan to upgrade until next LTS. I have releases with like only 9 month support cycle no matter how good it is -- which IMHO sounds like a good release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For me raring boots faster on usb than 12.04 when its installed. Thats on my modern i5 laptop btw.
    I've noticed gnome-system-monitor no longer eats lots of cpu when its open which is nice.
    Cpu sits between 47-49C on 13.04 whereas with 12.04 it sits in the 51-54C range, so I expect a longer battery life.
    The new nautilus theme and icon is ugly IMHO. The new dash icon is nice.
    On Raring I had one gpu lockup, I tried ctrl+alt+prt sc+k and ctrl+alt+backspace both didn't work nor did ctr+alt+F1

U'm one question:
    Am I the only one who is missing the battery indicator on 13.04? I can't see my battery level or estimated time remaining. The indicator just isn't there.
    Last edited by jonnyboysmithy; April 27th, 2013 at 07:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

One odd thing that i have noticed is that with latest firefox you need to add manually to config New -> Boolean -> Name: network.protocol-handler.external.magnet -> Value -> false . Otherwise firefox even dont ask what to do with magnet links. Is this a bug or choice? Otherwise seems great release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just curious...anyone who installed 13.04 in the last few days...did you get any updates yesterday and today? I haven't....i have been running 13.04 development for a few weeks and since it went final, i haven't gotten any new updates...the updater checks and tells me i am up to date...

I realize it was just released, so there may not be any updates for a while...but i just wanted to make sure i am ok...i had tried to change over to the "saucy" repos in the terminal, but it did not work for me, and the updater reverted back to the ringtail repos...so i am just trying to make sure my updater is ok....Thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast