Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 Upgrade!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu 13.04 Upgrade!

Alright! The new version of Ubuntu was just released this morning, and everything is looking good. System76 users are clear to upgrade immediately!

Just a couple of notes, as always:

• Fresh installs and online upgrades with Software Updater are good to go.
    • Don't forget to install the System76 Driver after installation! Just go to http://planet76.com and click the download link to automatically grab the latest version!
    • The 3.2.7 version of the System76 Driver does include fixes for Bluetooth and Wireless on our current lineup of laptops.
    • If you have a GazP8 and find yourself stuck without wireless, you can suspend the machine with Fn+F4 then resume to restore wireless until the next boot. You can then run the Restore function in the driver to make the fix permanent.

That should be everything. The direct upgrade instructions are located at: Ubuntu 13.04 Upgrade.
    Last edited by isantop; October 17th, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 Upgrade!

Will following the instructions here (http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Version_Upgrade) keep my user data, or will it completely overwrite the whole installation?

Obviously a backup is a good idea either way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you're using Software Updater, it will preserve your data. If you use a disk, then be sure to choose "Upgrade Ubuntu 12.10 to 13.04", which will also keep your data.

Obivously, the safest route is to back up in either case, but these should save you from having to restore as well.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Alright! The new version of Ubuntu was just released this morning, and everything is looking good. System76 users are clear to upgrade immediately!

Just a couple of notes, as always:

• Fresh installs and online upgrades with Software Updater are good to go.
    • Don't forget to install the System76 Driver after installation! Just go to http://planet76.com and click the download link to automatically grab the latest version!

That should be everything. The direct upgrade instructions are located at: Ubuntu 13.04 Upgrade.
    Unless you use the Chrome browser. If you use Chrome it's a good idea to wait a few more days until Google can push out an update to Chrome that is still in the testing phase.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just wanted to report a seamless upgrade, and with a couple hours of moderate usage last night, everything seems to be working.

And to b3d's point about Chrome, the issue is with missing dependecies, installing https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...tu19_amd64.deb , for 64 bit, or https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...ntu19_i386.deb for 32 bit should fix the dependency issue. Or you can just use Chromium, which doesn't have this issue.

Cheers!

Beans

I purchased a Gazp8 with 1TB HDD at the turn of the year, and 12.10-64bit with whole disk encryption worked fine. After a number of updates, the /boot partition filled up, and some of the old kernels had to be removed manually before subsequent updates would be successful. (I didn't encounter this problem before on my old PC with previous versions of Ubuntu.) Unfortunately, this is what caused my 13.04 upgrade to fail somewhere in the middle.

So, I decided to do a clean install from a USB-key (again enabling whole disk encryption), followed by running the Software Updater, and finishing up with the new System76 Driver. Everything seemed to install properly, but I needed (and still need) a physical ethernet connection, since WiFi (and BT) cannot be turned on. And, the screen brightness cannot be changed. Has anyone else encountered this? Does anyone know the root-cause?

Beans

I have the same system (gazp8). I'm having the same problem. I went back to old version (12.10), so everything would work again. Will try the new version when a fix is made.

Beans

Im having the same troubles with the Bluethoot, I can turn it on from the FN+F12 or from system settings, also i can user the fn+f11 i cant turn on the wireless as well, by default I has able the wireless but i use my ethernet cable for mor speed .....
    I ask to tech support and the just keep saying ilogical things, even they say to do a fresh install,,, but that doesnt works either..... I think they didnt know this isusses.... so im wondering how they install the version 13.04 in the new machines....
    Right now im using 13.04, so I used a live cd of 12.10 (to test) and the bightness keys doesnt work but with the SYSTEM 76 DRIVER in the INstall Drivers seccion if you press it you will see Enable brightness hot keys and that drivers make works the birghtness keys, in 13.04 the SYSTEM 76 drivers secctions doesnt say something about bluethoot or wireless drivers.....
    Im not a hitech guy but just traying to understand this...

I HOPE TO SYSTEM 76 FIX THIS ISSUE......

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dkhinkle View Post
    I purchased a Gazp8 with 1TB HDD at the turn of the year, and 12.10-64bit with whole disk encryption worked fine. After a number of updates, the /boot partition filled up, and some of the old kernels had to be removed manually before subsequent updates would be successful. (I didn't encounter this problem before on my old PC with previous versions of Ubuntu.) Unfortunately, this is what caused my 13.04 upgrade to fail somewhere in the middle.

So, I decided to do a clean install from a USB-key (again enabling whole disk encryption), followed by running the Software Updater, and finishing up with the new System76 Driver. Everything seemed to install properly, but I needed (and still need) a physical ethernet connection, since WiFi (and BT) cannot be turned on. And, the screen brightness cannot be changed. Has anyone else encountered this? Does anyone know the root-cause?
    Im having the same issue with the bluethoot and wireless.....
    did you contact tech support????

Beans

When I contacted support I was told it was bad burn or I had hardware problems, but when I went back to a prior version 12.10, the problems went away. A clean install was done.

I also found out that when I go into suspend, and then come out of suspend my internal mic stops working. I have to insert an external mic and then remove it, and then the built in mic works again.

I was able to get wirless to work by going in a shutting my laptop lid, and then re-open it, then the wireless would work. Could never get bluetooth to work.

Going to use the prior ubuntu version till a fix is found.

Noticed a new build of the driver 3.2.7 was released on the 27th, can some tell me if the recent fixed the problems? The changelog on the wiki only covers up to the version 3.2.1. Thank you.
    Last edited by tonyr2k8; April 28th, 2013 at 02:45 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast