Thread: Puzzle Platformer - are you interested?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Puzzle Platformer - are you interested?

Hello everyone. I'm developing a puzzle platformer that is inpired by Trine and The Lost Vikings. It's called The Lost Heroes.

Here is intro:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO3S3CBTD50

I'm developing it for OUYA, but it has a desktop version too and I will be willing to release it also for Ubuntu. What I'm concerned is - will there be interest in such game on Ubuntu? It would need to cost around $10 + taxes to pay for the development time (4 to 5 months full time of my work) but I'm willing to reconsider the price if there is much interest of course. The first version will be ready in June (with more levels coming later).

Here are some promo images:

Description:

The Lost Heroes is a puzzle platformer with three characters which you can switch between at any time, each with its own capabilities and powers.

First there is the wizardess Cassy La Fay with red mane of hair and ability to cast spells and jump high in the air. Second there is the troll called Pebble by his friends and Beware-Of-That-Huge-Boulder by his enemies. Strong and able to break walls with his huge hands and block projectiles at will. Last there is the valiant knight Sir Lancefew of the House of Sparse Lances who knows how to use a sword and bow and fights with valor if not grace.

The game begins when the three unlikely heroes are put in jail because of the great appetite of the troll for precious gems. After escaping with the help of an old and very suspicious looking fellow, they travel through different worlds full of puzzles, platforms and monsters saving small cute creatures and looking for a way home.

You can pick up and use items and new spells that change the abilities of the characters, open doors with keys, levers and buttons, operate elevators and swim. For example with teleport spell Cassy can transport other characters into different places, while with a levitation spell she can float through the air. Picking up a bow allows Lancefew to shoot monsters and a hook with a chain provides Pebble with ability to swing.

The game is inspired by the classic game The Lost Vikings and Trine series, written using libGDX and box2D with animations made in Spine2D. Most of the graphics is painted by hand on a graphics tablet, music is composed using professional software and will be cinematic with choirs and large string ensembles mostly because I like choirs and I like violins and cellos and all that.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Puzzle Platformer - are you interested?

With Steam recently coming to Linux and Humble Indie Bundle releasing a couple of indie game bundles a year, youre going to have a lot of competition. At this point, I cant say that Id pay $10 for it....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for the feedback.
    When the game is completely finished, I will try hitting Desura, maybe even Humble Bundle and Steam - but for now I'm concentrating on OUYA and Android and later iPad.

Ubuntu is a very peculiar platform for developers like me - people don't seem to be buying anything from Software Center. I would release my game for free - like I do on Android - but there is no way to earn anything from that on Ubuntu (while on Android free version of that game should easily pay for the development time).
    Last edited by Magnes; April 25th, 2013 at 04:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I've decided the price of the game will be about $5. $10 was too much. The release will be in June. Thanks again for the feedback.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

5 is good - I pay that for these games, last one I got was DefenceZone - pretty good game but sound didn't work for me and support was very poor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

It reminds me of the (very) early Blizzard game, The Lost Vikings. This is NOT a Bad Thing.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

It is inspired by Lost Vikings, yes. My nephew plays Lost Vikings 1 and 2 all the time and he "forced" me to make a similar game.