Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't install nvidia-319

If you use:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia-304
    that should remove the driver without installing another driver, unless you removed nouveau too.

Beans

I purged nvidia-304. Can't purge 304-updates. Still can't install nvidia-319 no matter what, says it has a conflict with the xorg driver binary

aptitude search '~i?provides(xorg-driver-binary)'
    i A nvidia-304-updates - NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module a

apt-get purge nvidia-304-updates

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
    linux-image-extra-3.9.0-4-generic
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove it.
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    nvidia-304 nvidia-current nvidia-settings-304
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    nvidia-304-updates* nvidia-current-updates* nvidia-settings-319*
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    nvidia-304 nvidia-current nvidia-settings-304
    0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 3 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
    Need to get 1,823 kB/69.9 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 325 kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
    Abort.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Installed it on a clean install made with the June 15th daily disk image of xubuntu

has anyone tried deleting /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; June 15th, 2013 at 03:53 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

There is an updated version of 319.23 in the repos now, which installs against kernel 3.10. No need for xorg-edgers anymore if running the latest kernel. Sadly, moving from Gallium to Nvidia under Kernel 3.10 killed Unity and Gnome Classic, but strange enough so does Gnome-Shell work fine. One wouldn't think of Gnome-Shell as a fallback desktop, but in this case it is ... important to keep Nautilus 3.6.3 though as the desktop itself is destroyed when using a newer Nautilus. Gallium works fine with all of the above, but it can't run games properly, using the Linux-port of Portal as a test. Changing to Nvidia, while breaking a lot of the desktop stuff except Gnome-Shell, indeed makes it possible to run Portal properly! Ubuntu 13.10 is in a VERY buggy state right now, I don't think 13.04 ever was this buggy during it's release-cycle, but it's still Alpha so things will/must improve a lot Btw, running yesterdays build of Ubuntu fully updated and extended with ubuntu-gnome-desktop, yesterdays build of Ubuntu Gnome was too buggy to use but the normal Ubuntu was usable enough to have as a base install.
    Last edited by xeizo; June 15th, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Asus P5Q-DeLuxe C2Q Q9450@3.2GHz 8GB Nvidia GTX650Ti 1GB Asus Xonar Essence ST Crucial M4 64GB(system) 3TB storage Corsair VX450 Xigmatek Asgard

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

nothing buggy here on i386, even with nautilus 3.9.0

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    nothing buggy here on i386, even with nautilus 3.9.0
    Well, I run 64-bit and it seems rather common for things to be fixed later in 64-bit which is strange since all desktop/laptop-processors have been 64-bit for nearly ten years ... Otherwise, the Nautilus-problem seems like a known bug, you can't have normal desktop-functionality in Gnome-Shell with anything later than 3.6.3. Usually it manifests itself in a pure white desktop. Of course one can turn the functionality off and have all the screen estate being filled with just a pretty wallpaper, much like in KDE, in that case later Nautilus-versions will do. Anyway, Linux is in much need of a SOLID desktop, which seems just like a wish at the moment. Even Microsoft is struggling GUI-wise with its Windows 8-debacle ....
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Asus P5Q-DeLuxe C2Q Q9450@3.2GHz 8GB Nvidia GTX650Ti 1GB Asus Xonar Essence ST Crucial M4 64GB(system) 3TB storage Corsair VX450 Xigmatek Asgard

Beans
    Hidden!

Anyway, Linux is in much need of a SOLID desktop, which seems just like a wish at the moment. Even Microsoft is struggling GUI-wise with its Windows 8-debacle ....[/QUOTE]
    +1
    But keep in mind saucy is in Development..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xeizo View Post
    There is an updated version of 319.23 in the repos now, which installs against kernel 3.10. No need for xorg-edgers anymore if running the latest kernel. Sadly, moving from Gallium to Nvidia under Kernel 3.10 killed Unity and Gnome Classic, but strange enough so does Gnome-Shell work fine. One wouldn't think of Gnome-Shell as a fallback desktop, but in this case it is ... important to keep Nautilus 3.6.3 though as the desktop itself is destroyed when using a newer Nautilus. Gallium works fine with all of the above, but it can't run games properly, using the Linux-port of Portal as a test. Changing to Nvidia, while breaking a lot of the desktop stuff except Gnome-Shell, indeed makes it possible to run Portal properly! Ubuntu 13.10 is in a VERY buggy state right now, I don't think 13.04 ever was this buggy during it's release-cycle, but it's still Alpha so things will/must improve a lot Btw, running yesterdays build of Ubuntu fully updated and extended with ubuntu-gnome-desktop, yesterdays build of Ubuntu Gnome was too buggy to use but the normal Ubuntu was usable enough to have as a base install.
    What repo do I need for 3.10?

I am completely current as of this post with saucy sisters.

uname -a
    Linux db1 3.9.0-6-generic #13-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 14 15:47:09 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajmcello View Post
    What repo do I need for 3.10? I am completely current as of this post with saucy sisters. uname -a Linux db1 3.9.0-6-generic #13-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 14 15:47:09 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    There's no PPA for 3.10, but it can be downloaded manually here: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...daily/current/ It will install against the latest Nvidia-blob which IS in the normal repos, install it so: Download headers, headers-all and the kernel, put them in a directory and issue the following on the command-line when standing in the same directory: sudo dpkg -i linux*.deb

Beans

Thanks, I finally got 319 installed. I had to break the system (interupt apt-get remove after it removed nvidia-310 or 304), and install 319 manually by downloading the package.

During the process, the following held me back, so I removed them:

libcublas5.0
    libcudart5.0
    libcufft5.0
    libcuinj64-5.0
    libcupti5.0
    libcupti-dev
    libcurand5.0
    libcusparse5.0
    libnpp5.0
    libnvtoolsext5.0
    libthrust-dev
    libvdpau-dev
    nvidia-cuda-dev
    nvidia-cuda-toolkit
    nvidia-opencl-dev
    nvidia-profiler
    nvidia-visual-profiler
    opencl-headers

Good to go with nvidia-319 and nvidia-319-dev and kernel 3.10

Quote Originally Posted by xeizo View Post
    There's no PPA for 3.10, but it can be downloaded manually here: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...daily/current/ It will install against the latest Nvidia-blob which IS in the normal repos, install it so: Download headers, headers-all and the kernel, put them in a directory and issue the following on the command-line when standing in the same directory: sudo dpkg -i linux*.deb

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast