Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucid 10.04LTS user - what should I move to?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Lucid 10.04LTS user - what should I move to?

Hi

Just a quick question, really - although this may turn into a slightly longer post!

I have been a very happy user of 10.04LTS (Lucid Lynx) on my desktop since it was released. In that time, I've tried out the various new releases, but quite frankly Ubuntu lost me at Unity. I like the desktop I've got with my Lucid, I've had three years to get it just the way I want, and I don't really want to change to a completely new desktop style. But I believe that support for this version is about to go away, and I don't really want to run a desktop that is not getting security updates.

Over the past few months, I've spent time trying out different alternatives. The closest I've got to my beloved 10.04LTS has been Xubuntu, but it has so many little niggles that make it just that little bit too different. Linux Mint with MATE has also been on my radar, but it doesn't seem to support Compiz, at least on my computer. And Kubuntu with the latest KDE is a good distro, but a bit too much of a step change.

Are there any other people out there still devoted to Lucid Lynx? If so, what are your plans once support expires? I'd like to be inspired by some other people's stories. I know it's getting long in the tooth, but I like to take something on and stick with it for as long as possible. If support wasn't going away, I'd stay with it for a lot longer! I'm also open to other distributions, if anyone has any suggestions.

I don't want this to be a pro/anti Unity bunfight. There are enough of those around the internet, and I've made my decision on Unity. It's a good product, but doesn't suit me personally, and I'd like to leave it at that!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lucid 10.04LTS user - what should I move to?

Have a look at Ubuntu Gnome. As of 13.04 its an official release and it should be the closest thing to 10.04 available in terms of feel/performance

http://ubuntugnome.org/ Should be released sometime tomorrow.

My first choice would have been Xubuntu on old hardware but you have already said you don't want that.

Beans

with my upgrade to 12.04 i also started installing Mate DE. As far as I know it can be used with all flavors of ubuntu and debian.
    I have used it with xubuntu , zorin 6.1, ubuntu, Ultimate edition and several others. I finally decided that the only difference is what is included and what i have to add.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Gnome_Classic will support compiz and although its not an exact gnome2 replacement, I find it close enough.

A link to some tweaks:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pr...eClassicTweaks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

As you can upgrade through the update manager to 12.04 LTS in one click, why not go there then install xfce4 which is the Xubuntu desktop environment (not all the programs, don't install xubuntu-desktop). That's it. Your apps should be setup as they were.

12.04 LTS is supported for five years, til April 2017. LTS is upgradable to the next LTS through the update manager. The interim releases, unless they are directly before the next LTS (at the moment every two years), don't.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; April 24th, 2013 at 05:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

upgrade to 12.04 gnome desktop and you'll get the classic gnome option

Beans

XFCE is your best bet, its the closest to classic gnome without using MATE

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have a look at Ubuntu Gnome. As of 13.04 its an official release and it should be the closest thing to 10.04 available in terms of feel/performance
    It is not.

Ubuntu Gnome is based up Gnome 3 and Gnome 3 shell. It is nothing like 10.04. In fact there is a great similarity between Gnome 3 shell and unity. Ubuntu Gnome is what Ubuntu would have looked like if Unity was not invented.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I am in the same situation with my Ubuntu 10.04 install and have also been experimenting with different distros/DE's ( multi-booting as always ) ... My choice for replacement to Ubuntu 10.04 is Xubuntu 12.04 with a lot of customization. I actually like it a lot and it is my main OS now. Xfde is also a DE environment I can take with me to other distro's I've tried. I am not going to name them all, as I want to talk about a couple up and coming distros, both of which I am hoping will grow more legs and traction. And one quick link to another distro-hopper who definitely knows his stuff.

kansasnoob (distro-hopper extraordinaire), with many ideas for you to follow in links:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2090021&

As I believe Gnome3 is dropping Gnome Classic soon ( or has already ), here is a fork of it, that is to have the look and feel of Gnome2 ( still in Alpha/Beta ):

SolusOS

Another up and comer which is still in Alpha/Beta, that is a pre-installed DE of Arch Linux, that has me really excited:

Manjaro OS

Have fun!

Edit: Be aware, both SolusOS and Manjaro OS have broken for me. Neither are ready for production machine's yet!

;p
    Last edited by mikodo; April 24th, 2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Warning in Edit:
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity: Knowing what one should do and doing differently

Backup Your System!

Beans

Another option is linux mints cinnamon, its very much like gnome classic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast