Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I really like the Ribbon interface

Beans

I really like the Ribbon interface

I think the Ribbon interface on apps is one sensible piece of innovation. I loved it in MS Office Apps. I like my tools set out in front of me in an intuitive nice tabbed layout. I took to it from day one. But I do not understand why Linuxers hate the ribbon interface and it mostly seems to be because it's associated with Microsoft. I wish it was adopted in Linux apps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: I really like the Ribbon interface

I didn't really like the Ribbon layout when I first started using Office 2007 after using Office 2003 for a long long time at work. It felt alien to me and caused problems before I had to relearn where everything was. It is human nature to want to resist change (see the Unity outcry), but sometimes it is for the better.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Can't say I really see the advantage of the ribbon. Apparently it was intended to improve the discoverability of options in the menus, but I find in practice there are so many things in the MS Office menus that it's just as cluttered as the drop-down menus were and you just spend time hunting through the ribbon instead of hunting through menus. Either is just as quick once you've learned where everything is, and until then I didn't find the ribbon any quicker.

I don't hate it, it's just another imperfect interface. Can't say I get quite as ragey about interfaces as some folks do around here.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

*in comic book guy's voice* Worst. Interface. Ever.

Well, seriously, it is.

Beans

No, it was better to have the standard File, Edit, Vew etc... Now you have to search around for stuff a bit more.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    *in comic book guy's voice* Worst. Interface. Ever.

Well, seriously, it is.
    this
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Who does not want to wear the Ribbon? Who?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGaqI20WHyk

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DisappearingOak View Post
    But I do not understand why Linuxers hate the ribbon interface and it mostly seems to be because it's associated with Microsoft. I wish it was adopted in Linux apps.
    That's a wide generalization. Most users use whatever tools are available to them on the platform they're using.

You should take a look at Calligra suite. It doesn't use a "ribbon" per se, but the features are laid out in side panels in a similarly "everything out in the open" sort of way.

Beans

Beans

Well actually....

I prefer the ribbon interface as I find searching through File, Edit, Help... more clumsy and less eefficient. Honestly.
    And I am horrified to see that Linuxers seem to love going through menus. (:O)

Also, there is WPS office, currently in beta, but with a ribbon interface nevertheless.:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/03/w...ffice-but-isnt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast