Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I really like the Ribbon interface

Beans

Re: I really like the Ribbon interface

Eh the ribbon is a mess as its much harder to navigate some options in it like spellcheck,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't really mind the Ribbon. Some aspects of it are good - for instance, if you select a table and then go to the table formatting part of the ribbon and start going through the list of table styles, they will automatically apply to your table as your mouse moves over them. Like a real-time preview. Pretty good.

Most of the ribbon-hate is just that people don't want to relearn where things are kept. We've seen the same thing with Unity's introduction and we're still seeing it now actually as the 10.04 users will be forced to upgrade next month.

I still find myself searching through the ribbon for a particular function, from time to time, but on the whole the ribbon is a fairly decent UI.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Well, I like MS Office a lot, but it's not because of the Ribbon. I'm pretty indifferent to it; I don't love it or hate it. Ribbon is great for most day to day stuff, but if you need some feature that's not as common, it's a lot harder to find things than the old way. For instance, I print envelopes from Word a lot, and it was a major pain in the backside to find the envelope tool and set it up to launch it easily. I would think envelopes would be something common enough to just be built into the Ribbon somewhere.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuality314 View Post
    And I am horrified to see that Linuxers seem to love going through menus. (:O)
    I spoke with all the Linuxers this morning, they assured me they don't like going through menus. They prefer hitting M-x and typing a command.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    I spoke withAlthough all the Linuxers this morning, they assured me they don't like going through menus. They prefer hitting M-x and typing a command.
    Good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by DisappearingOak View Post
    I think the Ribbon interface on apps is one sensible piece of innovation. I loved it in MS Office Apps. I like my tools set out in front of me in an intuitive nice tabbed layout. I took to it from day one. But I do not understand why Linuxers hate the ribbon interface and it mostly seems to be because it's associated with Microsoft. I wish it was adopted in Linux apps.
    With therapy, perhaps you'll return to the land of reality.

I never found it intuitive, and the mix of options and functions was a long way from optimal. It was supposed to make the most commonly used functions most obvious, and hide the lesser-needed ones. Seems I always need a function that's not up at the top, and I spend more time searching for obscure options than I ever did with regular menu'd apps.

The learning curve is a lot steeper than it needs to be, and as with so many Microsoft products, you have to adapt to what they decide you need. You have no say in the matter.

Yeah, if you grow up with it, sure, you can navigate it just fine. That doesn't mean it's an improvement. A sighted person can learn braille just fine, too. That doesn't mean it's preferable to writing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    That's a wide generalization. Most users use whatever tools are available to them on the platform they're using.

You should take a look at Calligra suite. It doesn't use a "ribbon" per se, but the features are laid out in side panels in a similarly "everything out in the open" sort of way.
    Side panels do make for a more efficient use of screen real estate. I'd rather have those than a top one.

Beans

Here's a screenshot of calligra for those who don't want to download it:

http://www.calligra.org/wp-content/u...rds_spring.jpg

Beans

My favorite Windows program has a GUI with a command line built in (the command line also lists possible commands when you start typing). It's an awesome, efficient interface and I wish it was more popular in other programs. Plus it's script-able.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12