Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying Mint

Beans

Re: Trying Mint

I've considered trying Linux Mint lately. As time passes, Mint is becoming more attractive to me. I have it in a VM right now and it's quite nice. Cinnamon looks and feels great, but I do find myself more attracted to the Unity/Gnome Shell oriented environments. Problem is, since I've tried Gnome 3.8, I really don't find 3.6 that great, and 3.6 is what's packaged with both 13.04 and Mint 14.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

@pfeiffpe

Zombie is exactly what Mate is. gtk2 is dead, how long can they keep up with a deprecated toolkit? I like Unity and gnome-shell and am pretty happy with Ubuntu. However on old machines Lubuntu is really fast. I doubt that mate could beat that, basing on gnome2 as it is. Remember gnome2 was never considered "light" in its days. People who wanted a light DE would go for xubuntu or Lubuntu.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; April 26th, 2013 at 09:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have Lubuntu, Peppermint, and Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix as alternative boots on my laptop. Yes, Lubuntu is perceptably faster than Ubuntu, but I can't seem to really feel comfortable with it. I find myself preferring to use the Cinnamon Remix more than the others. Peppermint is _really_ fast, but then of course it slows down when using cloud based applications. My desktop has been Cinnamon flavour Mint 13 for over a year now, and I don't see any need to change that yet.
    Momist. Follower of the minor Greek god Momer.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

tried to install lmde on an old netbook - total nightmare and gave up, need to improve installation package.
    ran kde on the same netbook - loved it, albeit a little sluggish .Love kde
    installed with a little help from here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=126140
    and am sticking with mint nadia xfce.Runs a dream, installs what i need on a netbook ( which isnt alot )low consumption of ram , cpu.
    only hitch is a failure to load partition at boot up ???? (believe that very old hdd is slowly going wrong) starts ok after a few seconds though.
    Run Unity on laptop but just too glitchy on netbook
    yes i'm a nood

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just installed the Cinnamon theme on my Ubuntu 13.04 and have to say this is awesome!

Much more to my liking than Unity & Dash + all the speed of Raring and a newer Kernel than Mint 14.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pfeiffep View Post
    I just installed the Cinnamon theme on my Ubuntu 13.04 and have to say this is awesome!

Much more to my liking than Unity & Dash + all the speed of Raring and a newer Kernel than Mint 14.
    I installed cinnamon on raring the day it hit the repos during development.

Quite easy and enjoyable.
    Had to kill hot corner though, as I moved my panel to the top and going to opening the menu kept executing the workspace expo switcher.
    No biggie.
    And I repeat, I moved my panel. having run unity for so long, that by itself was like a lost revelation.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12