Thread: ReactOS: Windows free?

Beans

ReactOS: Windows free?

I finally heard about an OS that is Windows binary compatible: ReactOS. This OS is not bsed on anything and is written from scratch in C and C++. It has a Windows 2000 look, but claims to be compatible with software for Windows meant for win 2000 and all other win releases that came after 2000. Best of all ReactOS is free and open source. So, what are your thoughts on a free Windows? And would you get it?

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: ReactOS: Windows free???????????????

Who cares? Why get excited over an alpha quality Windoze clone which is 10+ years behind? If you cannot part with your WIn apps just use Windows, virtualbox or WIne. I choose Linux because I love it. I love the freedom, the community and the high quality applications (I don't play game, I do scientific computing and Linux is the best platform) I don't need Windows, don't like it and won't miss it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

well it's free and opensource...

but i don't think they can run all windows applications. why would anyone want to have this? there are more applicaitons available for windows than for linux - fact. and some people want to use free operating system they can modify as they please.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup (suitable for older PCs): Redobackup Less friendly disk backup (works on new PC): Clonezilla

Beans

reactOS isnt bad but it is very behind and you will face big errors with it
    Stick with linux + wine and a windows dual boot.

Beans

? works just as well as ???????????????
    Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: ReactOS: Windows free?

Changed the tite.
    If you install Buntu 17.10 remember to download a new ISO file.

Old files might contain a bug which can damage UEFI hardware. Updating an existing installation and upgrading to 17.10 (if one has faith in upgrades in general) are safe.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

A lot of us have had our eye on ReactOS since they first began. The problem is that they are always going to be way behind everything Microsoft puts out. There's no way they could ever possibly catch up.

And philosophically, it doesn't make sense. Windows comes pre-installed on almost every computer. The only purpose to use ReactOS would be because of a personal philosophy of FOSS. But if you felt like you needed to run a FOSS version of Windows, then it wouldn't make sense to run proprietary software on that FOSS version of Windows. And all of the FOSS software is already available for Linux, so why not just either use Linux or Windows?

The only other legitimate purpose for ReactOS is just messing with it as a hobby. In that case, I think it's very cool. But it will never have a real purpose for people who just want a good operating system.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

This post should be deleted. Why would i install a windows clone. Sheesh

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tlan View Post
    This post should be deleted. Why would i install a windows clone. Sheesh
    well its still an alternative OS to windows.
    Last edited by Sef; April 26th, 2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: changed doze to windows