Thread: getting 20 or lower FPS in Diablo 3

Beans

getting 20 or lower FPS in Diablo 3

I'm a new linux user and I'm using ubuntu 12.04. I installed diablo 3 through playonlinux. My issue is whenever I'm in game I get sub 20s FPS consistently. It doesn't matter if I lower my graphics setting or resolution I still get the same frames. This same rig runs this game great on windows.

I tried reverting back to gnome desktop and it doesn't seem to help. I'm using a radeon HD 9790 with latest Catalyst 13.3 beta drivers. My processor is amd phenom X6 (6 core). I tried setting the core affinity to use a different number of cores using the WINE task manager and it did not seem to help. Any insight into my issue would be very helpful.

Edit: I just noticed theres a playonlinux subsection to this forum. Sorry about the misplaced post just noticed it now
    Last edited by hydrizl; April 24th, 2013 at 05:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Need help, getting 20 or lower FPS in Diablo 3

radeon HD 9790
    Do you mean a 7970?

Since this game is running in Wine, have you tried different versions of Wine inside PlayOnLinux? It's very easy to do. At the top of POL, there is a Tools -> Manage Wine versions. By clicking this, you can install any Wine whether new or old, patched or default. I'd suggest trying out a newer version of Wine, such as 1.5.28 or better yet try the different patched Wines with Diablo3 suffixed to them.

Now that you have another version of Wine installed or more, highlight your Diablo3 in POL. Then click the Configure button. Under the General tab, you can see Wine version drop down box. Here is where you can select the version of Wine Diablo3 will run in. Just choose one, and run Diablo3 again. POL will automatically update your installation to make it use that selected Wine version.

An alternative would also be to try CrossOver 12.1. I use it myself, and it's pretty solid in terms of performance. However, it's not free like PlayOnLinux, though you can try a trial version for free. Just take note, AMD's Linux drivers are really horrible. I had to ditch my 6850 after Catalyst 12.11 was just continuing to regress. Even if all the software you're using is good, if AMD's driver is the failing part we can't do anything about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Moved to wine section.
    | AMD Ryzen 1700x 3.4 GHz | ASUS PRIME X370-A | 32 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 |
    | ASUS Nvidia 1070 8 GB | SSD 250 GB | HDD 1 TB |

Check my Desktop for ideas Desktop 1 and Desktop 2
    What Sheldon Cooper thinks of Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by myromance123 View Post
    Do you mean a 7970?

Since this game is running in Wine, have you tried different versions of Wine inside PlayOnLinux? It's very easy to do. At the top of POL, there is a Tools -> Manage Wine versions. By clicking this, you can install any Wine whether new or old, patched or default. I'd suggest trying out a newer version of Wine, such as 1.5.28 or better yet try the different patched Wines with Diablo3 suffixed to them.

Now that you have another version of Wine installed or more, highlight your Diablo3 in POL. Then click the Configure button. Under the General tab, you can see Wine version drop down box. Here is where you can select the version of Wine Diablo3 will run in. Just choose one, and run Diablo3 again. POL will automatically update your installation to make it use that selected Wine version.

An alternative would also be to try CrossOver 12.1. I use it myself, and it's pretty solid in terms of performance. However, it's not free like PlayOnLinux, though you can try a trial version for free. Just take note, AMD's Linux drivers are really horrible. I had to ditch my 6850 after Catalyst 12.11 was just continuing to regress. Even if all the software you're using is good, if AMD's driver is the failing part we can't do anything about it.
    Yeah I did mean 7970, haha. I'm going to keep trying different wine versions and report back here. I hope its not a driver issue but I have a feeling it might be.

Beans

Re: getting 20 or lower FPS in Diablo 3

Well I figured out my issue. I thought I'd post my solution in case someone else has a similar problem. I downloaded the cpufreq package and checked my core speeds while in D3. It turns out only 2 of my cores were at max capacity while playing (which explains why the core affinity did not help past two cores). So I changed the governor to performance for the other cores I was using and now my FPS shot up. I'm glad I'm able to play the game on linux now, one less reason to boot into windows

Beans

Thank you sir I have been pulling out my hair trying to figure what to do about the low FPS. Im newer to linux and just formatted my Windows HD with Ubuntu 12.04. Thanks alot sir!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hydrizl View Post
    Well I figured out my issue. I thought I'd post my solution in case someone else has a similar problem. I downloaded the cpufreq package and checked my core speeds while in D3. It turns out only 2 of my cores were at max capacity while playing (which explains why the core affinity did not help past two cores). So I changed the governor to performance for the other cores I was using and now my FPS shot up. I'm glad I'm able to play the game on linux now, one less reason to boot into windows
    Can you post a step-by-step guide of sorts on how to do that?

Beans

Code:
    sudo apt-get install indicator-cpufreq
    You may have to logout then log back in to see the indicator. The cpu indicator should appear at the top right hand corner and it sort of looks like an SD card. There you can set your CPU for performance. Before installing the cpufreq I could lower all the D3 settings and still be getting 20 FPS and now I get 50-60 FPS which was better than my windows machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've been a fan of AMD graphic cards for a long time, but I have had nothing but problems with them and gaming since I moved to Linux. I use NVidia now + proprietary driver to run Linux native games and win32 games on Linux. Have much better luck.