View Poll Results: What should we do for the next dev cycle?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Close and archive this sub-froum

32 41.03%
  • Rename to U+1 and continue on

46 58.97%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Name change

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Name change

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    One more reason, and possibly the best reason, we should just be U+1 is displayed here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2138987

We who truly test a lot know what to do and when to do it. And we know when to ignore bad advice

As long as a release name is attached to U+1 we increase the danger of noobs diving into something they don't understand
    Are you saying I gave bad advice kansasnoob?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

One more reason, and possibly the best reason, we should just be U+1 is displayed here:

We who truly test a lot know what to do and when to do it. And we know when to ignore bad advice

As long as a release name is attached to U+1 we increase the danger of noobs diving into something they don't understand
    Is there another way to upgrade?
    Someone should really explain that this is not an upgrade per se, but the development version.

Every single development version I've used has fallen over at some point. I wonder if that is understood.

Please note that I do not advise (nor did I advise) that this proceedure be executed on a production machine.
    This is the closest it's come to a warning.

My warning, "Do not install this as your only OS. Have a backup OS. Be comfortable with the recovery console. Have a LiveCD/USB and be prepared to chroot if/when required".

Indecently, my other OS on this netbook is Arch. I will be testing this cycle and Arch will become my primary OS when i need to get things done.

That being said, i think it's great that new testers are interested in testing the development version of Ubuntu.

/offtopic. Sorry Cariboo907. Just thought it should be stressed.

I'm for U+1 and have voted as such.
    Last edited by matt_symes; April 26th, 2013 at 06:46 PM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Someone should really explain that this is not an upgrade per se, but the development version.

Every single development version I've used has fallen over at some point. I wonder if that is understood.

My warning, "Do not install this as your only OS. Have a backup OS. Be comfortable with the recovery console. Have a LiveCD/USB and be prepared to chroot if/when required".

Indecently, my other OS on this netbook is Arch. I will be testing this cycle and Arch will become my primary OS when i need to get things done.

That being said, i think it's great that new testers are interested in testing the development version of Ubuntu.

Thanks for your comments. When I first came into testing I came into it knowing that it is beta testing. That means that user_beware. It's an absolute no brainer and anybody who assumes otherwise needs a reality check. Personally I really don't care if the toolchain gets uploaded May the 2nd or August 30th! I will keep attempting to prepare my machines to be on the cutting edge with whatever tools are available. If a noob wants to jump in and bust his machine .. then let him/her do so. I guess I'm just not one who wants to hang-out at the q&a/tracker knitting doillies all day.

Cariboo907 made mention about when it stops being fun in reference to having to moderate extra threads ..etc... and the same goes for testing.. when it stops being fun and a few crumudgeons chime in from time to time that we are jumping the gun or whatever then .. it really takes the wind out of one's sails and there is no fun in that at all.

Beans
    Distro

/offtopic. Sorry Cariboo907. Just thought it should be stressed.

I'm for U+1 and have voted as such.
    btw .. cariboo 907 has explained quite well about new dev releases at this link:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U%2B1/common-problems

So I think the bases have been covered about the warning aspect. If people do not want to read the stickies then what can one do ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Thanks for your comments. When I first came into testing I came into it knowing that it is beta testing. That means that user_beware. It's an absolute no brainer and anybody who assumes otherwise needs a reality check. Personally I really don't care if the toolchain gets uploaded May the 2nd or August 30th! I will keep attempting to prepare my machines to be on the cutting edge with whatever tools are available. If a noob wants to jump in and bust his machine .. then let him/her do so. I guess I'm just not one who wants to hang-out at the q&a/tracker knitting doillies all day.

Cariboo907 made mention about when it stops being fun in reference to having to moderate extra threads ..etc... and the same goes for testing.. when it stops being fun and a few crumudgeons chime in from time to time that we are jumping the gun or whatever then .. it really takes the wind out of one's sails and there is no fun in that at all.
    I think it's great that new testers want to join the team. Mention has been made already that new testers are required.

I'm glad that you added that warning on the other thread. It's important it's understood that this is a development environment.

The language used in the other thread worried me though. As you did, always best not to go in blinkered
    Last edited by matt_symes; April 26th, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

At the risk of sounding 'elitist', I say call it a wrap on this one, and go to plain old U+1. More testers is a good thing, but not everyone is cut out for it. People who are, will find the forum.

Slightly off-topic: I also think that the General Support forum should be split into three - Current Release, Current LTS, and Legacy. Yes, there's no doubt a certain amount of overlap, but the amount of traffic in the GS forum is stupefying. Lots of it is stuff that ought to be in a Newbie forum, for that matter. Then there are all the 'flavors'...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    I've no idea

Do I have to read 10k posts now
    Bad day, bad choice of words. This should get you there:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2116390

I've hopefully been hanging my head in shame long enough.

No excuses, just apologies

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Are you saying I gave bad advice kansasnoob?
    I think you'd have been wise to include some warning, including the fact that the official toolchain has not yet been uploaded.

Imagine someone just doing a web search after seeing this:

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/ubunt...ced-saucy.html

There are of course many sites where you can find that info. But then they see this:

change_repos.jpg

What could possibly go wrong

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

With your argument, you could argue that running the development version AT ALL could be advice best ignored. Running a development release is always a risky move, even for seasoned testers. "Noobs" - as you refer to them - maybe shouldn't be running any sort of development version at all. Last cycle, in fact, the toolchain was uploaded about 2 days before it was scheduled. I followed this advice the last two cycles, and was able to run all the way through both cycles with no major issues. Until the first daily iso is released, there are always mismatched repos even when one points to the toolchain when it is released. I'll admit that some of the people who tried this advice might not really know what they're in for, but if they want to choose to run experimental, then they take the risk of the supposed "danger" of "something they don't understand." More power to 'em.

EDIT: And in relation to your point about people searching online and coming to this post and following bad advice, I thought that was always the risk of inputting commands that you read online that you do not understand. A first linux user will peruse the forums and put in a bunch of random commands that people give them, and some of the advice is good, and some of it is bad. That is always a risk for people who blindly put in commands
    Last edited by Mathor; April 26th, 2013 at 07:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I think it's great that new testers what to join the team. Mention has been made already that new testers are required.

I'm glad that you added that warning on the other thread. It's important it's understood that this is a development environment.

The language used in the other thread worried me though. As you did, always best not to go in blinkered
    Honestly, I try to contribute to the q&a tracker as best as I can. When the first beta was out I was all set to go .. looking forward to spending quality time and then .. ring .. ring .. the phones goes .. Work !! Unfortunately for me I don't have the luxury or finances to say no to work as we all know bills have to be paid. Well.. now I am off topic. Boom .. there goes the compressor on my A/C. Another 200 bucks I have to scrounge from somewhere.

Regards,
    Ventrical

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast