Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gksu on live cd But not installed

gksu on live cd But not installed

gksu(do) is on the way out but as of yet common uses of using pkexec aren't in place. (gedit, nautilus, gdebi, ect.

So why it's not installed is unknown here, just another fault in what may just be an 'obligated' release

Anyway users will be prompted to install but should be aware that the default install mode of gksu is "su" which doesn't work out well in Ubuntu.
    So after installing one must run (possibly only in 64 bit
    Code:
    gksu-properties
    And change the mode from su (screen) to sudo or you'll be prompted to provide the 'root' password instead of the admin user password
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; April 24th, 2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: mode change may only be needed on 64 bit

Re: gksu on live cd But not installed

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1172095
    (too late likely to change even if They want, more curious then anything else

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    gksu(do) is on the way out but as of yet common uses of using pkexec aren't in place. (gedit, nautilus, gdebi, ect.

So why it's not installed is unknown here, just another fault in what may just be an 'obligated' release

Anyway users will be prompted to install but should be aware that the default install mode of gksu is "su" which doesn't work out well in Ubuntu.
    So after installing one must run
    Code:
    gksu-properties
    And change the mode from su (screen) to sudo or you'll be prompted to provide the 'root' password instead of the admin user password
    Thanks for the info. That was driving me crazy. One thing I've discovered is that this problem exists only in the 64 bit flavor. gksu works like it should out of the box in the 32 bit spin.
    HP 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, A10-APU ATI Radeon HD 8650G

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

gksu is not the preferred way to run GUI applications as root any more. At least that's what I was told yesterday when I asked some of the developers in IRC yesterday.

#ubuntu-dev on irc.freenode.net

In the long term they want us to use pkexec instead or better still command line programs with sudo.

Some of the developers were surprised that users might edit config files with

Code:
    gksu gedit path_to_file
    when

Code:
    sudo vim path_to_file
    saves you two keystrokes. vim is very powerful but not something I would expect a casual user to be instantly comfortable with.

pkexec however is not trivial to use with GUI applications.

You can install gksu in 13.04 however but it may be removed from future versions of Ubuntu.

There is more information here on Ask Ubuntu

Last edited by Warren Hill; April 24th, 2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added link to vim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Hill View Post
    gksu is not the preferred way to run GUI applications as root any more. At least that's what I was told yesterday when I asked some of the developers in IRC yesterday.

#ubuntu-dev on irc.freenode.net

In the long term they want us to use pkexec instead or better still command line programs with sudo.

Some of the developers were surprised that users might edit config files with

Code:
    gksu gedit path_to_file
    when

Code:
    sudo vim path_to_file
    saves you two keystrokes. vim is very powerful but not something I would expect a casual user to be instantly comfortable with.

pkexec however is not trivial to use with GUI applications.

You can install gksu in 13.04 however but it may be removed from future versions of Ubuntu.

There is more information here on Ask Ubuntu

I use
    Code:
    alias gsudo='/usr/bin/sudo -H'
    and use gsudo for GUI applications... It is completely correct in any way, check that...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

vim is something I would expect the casual user to cry out with a

"I though Ubuntu was linux for normal people"

developers might find it easier to use vim ...

glass towers again

Beans
    Distro

I thought this was the preferred new method as described in synaptic.

gksu-polkit
    This is the new generation of gksu, a simple utility to run programs
    as root, even in X-based environments. This version uses the new
    libgksu-polkit library, which uses PolicyKit for authorization
    purposes and a D-Bus service to actually perform the work.
    Code:
    gksu-polkit gedit pathtofile

Beans
    Hidden!

no way I will use vim.
    I dont even want to learn how to use that geeky editor.

gksu was also not working as I expected, so thanks. I am on 64 bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The first time we try to run gksudo <program> on a new install, the terminal advises to install gksu. I have done that and I have not had any problems running gksudo gedit or gksudo nautilus or anything like that. Mind you, when I close the application the terminal throws up a mass of error messages. But that is not my problem. I achieved what I set out to do. I have not needed to run sudo -i or anything like that.

It seems that gksu authentication is set (on my machine) to sudo. I did not do it. May be that is the default setting on Ubuntu or may be it becomes the default setting when gksudo is first run.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; April 24th, 2013 at 02:11 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

"Just use vim" is really arrogant advice (even to people that know it). And there's no excuse for the 64-bit framework working differently from the 32-bit one.
    /Guy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast