Thread: D programming review or testimonial.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

D programming review or testimonial.

I would like to know from someone with experience with D programming on how is it for projects and about its different paradigms in action. I'm new to programming and I haven't got a plenty idea of what is a programming paradigm meaning OOP, Meta programming and others I don't remember now. My impression from this language is good enough for thinking about learning it before C but, am I right ? ( from an experienced point of view ).
    i5-480M (2.66GHz, 3MB L3 cache) 4GB DDR3

Re: So a D programming review or testimonial.

I do not have experience with D and so I am not the person you were hoping to hear from. However, I do have experience with several other languages and the question of how to start programming is a particular interest of mine. I have just two things to say.

Most modern, "serious" programming languages are essentially equivalent. They all have loops, functions, strings, numbers, libraries. If you're learning to program from a good book or course, you should spend more time learning how to use these concepts rather than learning how to write them in some particular language. This distinction inevitably gets a little muddled, which is unavoidable, but the take-away here is that any language except those that are deliberately obtuse (Malbolge, INTERCAL, Java, etc.) will do just fine. If you have some particular reason for picking D -- go for it! If not, well, there's probably no convincing reason to recommend D as a learning tool over the next language, so make your decision based on how easily you can find help and answers to your programming-related questions.

Your first programming language will not be the only one you ever use. It most likely won't be the one you use most; that certainly wasn't true for me. When you're learning to program for the first time, and you have a choice of language, don't waste time finding one that has all the features you think you may need; just pick something that helps you learn, and get started. Maybe in a few weeks-to-months, you'll read an article about some particular programming technique and learn how to do it in your language of choice -- or maybe you'll find another language that makes it easier and pick up that one. You don't need to know all the buzzwords or the programming paradigm of the week to write programs; all you need is a willingness to learn.

In summary, you're not wrong to be thinking about these issues, but you shouldn't wait for answers before you start learning. Asking for language opinions on an Internet forum is like asking for sand in a desert anyway, and the most informative answers will often deal with concepts you don't yet understand. Start learning first, then ask questions as they arise. Good luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by trent.josephsen View Post
    This distinction inevitably gets a little muddled, which is unavoidable, but the take-away here is that any language except those that are deliberately obtuse (Malbolge, INTERCAL, Java, etc.)
    Heh

I would point out though that for a learner who wants to learn a typical statically typed OOP language, Java is not a bad choice at all, especially if the OP has been looking at D already. IDE takes away a lot of the pain of the verbosity, and lets you experiment with different kinds of object-oriented architectural solutions faster (automatic refactorings rock).
    LambdaGrok. | #ubuntu-programming on FreeNode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: D programming review or testimonial.

I just woke up and read your messages, Thank you for your responses.
    i5-480M (2.66GHz, 3MB L3 cache) 4GB DDR3

Quote Originally Posted by CptPicard View Post
    I would point out though that for a learner who wants to learn a typical statically typed OOP language, Java is not a bad choice at all, especially if the OP has been looking at D already. IDE takes away a lot of the pain of the verbosity, and lets you experiment with different kinds of object-oriented architectural solutions faster (automatic refactorings rock).
    Yeah, I was being facetious, mostly. Java and I have always had a somewhat hostile relationship, but it was my first language and I don't think that fact hindered me any. I don't think it's a particularly... fun language, though, and that's one reason I wouldn't usually recommend it to new programmers.

It does kind of make sense that they use it in AP classes here in the US though.

Beans

@trent
    Java is certainly a nicer language to start with then C++... Though the verbosity and forced OO does get some people. While my high school didn't offer an AP programming class while I was there, I do know someone who was there for the transition and ended up hating the AP version of the class (if it isn't clear, the school's programming class was originally taught in C++ but the AP class was taught in Java.) Now, there is another factor... namely that my high school's programming teacher was terrible at programming, but the other reasons aren't invalidated by that.

@checoimg
    There is an official D book, which you might want to buy if you do learn D.

Considering Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs was what really got me into programming... I am of course biased towards Scheme as a starting language. Though it's probably a good idea to go through that book at some point in time anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by satsujinka View Post
    @trent
    Java is certainly a nicer language to start with then C++...
    I wouldn't know, having abandoned all attempt to learn C++ some time ago.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by trent.josephsen View Post
    I wouldn't know, having abandoned all attempt to learn C++ some time ago.
    So have I...* yet I know Java which I was introduced to afterwards. Of course, it entirely depends on how you're being taught. If you stick to C then C++ is perhaps a little easier (due to reasons already mentioned.)

*Though with the way the GUI toolkits are evolving I may end up properly learning C++ just to work with Qt.

Beans

Re: D programming review or testimonial.

You might try scala if you want to learn new programming paradigms. You can learn functional, imperative, and OO programming from it.