Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Web Designers become obselete?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Will Web Designers become obselete?

but joomla, wodpress and drupal etc. not to mention blogger. google sites and such all have some kind of wysiwyg editors for text & pages. it doesn't seem like there is any garbage there.

anyway with tools available it is way easier to have a good site up and running in no time. but then there is always the tweaking, optimisation and personalisation (look and feel).
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by stevesy View Post
    Do you think web-building sites will eventually replace web designers?
    Nope. Build-your-own-site services and ready-made solutions like Wordpress are targeting a particular segment of the market (bloggers, home users, sole traders and other small businesses, etc). There will always be demand for bespoke sites from bigger customers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    WYSIWYG web editors make my eyes bleed. I remember using them back when Frontpage was around and now most hosting companies have some sort of template system, but they usually turn the code into garbage.
    Don't judge all WYSIWYG editors by Frontpage from years ago. Frontpage was always appalling and wrote brain-manglingly bad code. Others like Dreamweaver did much better, and include a lot of useful workflow tools. In fact Dreamweaver was still useful even if you were hand-coding when I used to use it. Things like being able to check and change links site-wide saved a lot of maintaining large sites, and it did nice things like collapsible code blocks too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    Yes and no. Web designers as we know it will become obsolete, replaced by Java-script Ninjas building interactive single page applications that run in your browser.
    You'd still need a designer to make it look and work well. Web designer isn't necessarily (or even usually) the same guy who deals with development of the web site. Different job, and coders who are also skilled in visual & user experience design are not that common.

I'd never let a javascript ninja design the user experience of my company's web site. I'm more than happy to let a coder to do the development part of the job, though...

(and no, I don't believe web building sites can replace the need of a personal, designed-for-the-purpose web sites for most cases. They are fine for a limited user type's limited needs but not for much more. Besides, even such sites need somebody to design the ready-made templates for them. )
    Last edited by mcduck; April 24th, 2013 at 09:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stevesy View Post
    Do you think web-building sites will eventually replace web designers?
    God, I hope not. Those templates are rather... um... uninspiring. Not to mention, good design will stand out. If one stands out, it becomes a template and the next thing you know everybody looks the same, and it no longer stands out.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

WYSIWYG web editors make my eyes bleed. I remember using them back when Frontpage was around and now most hosting companies have some sort of template system, but they usually turn the code into garbage.
    Very true most of them create code that won't pass standards testing too. May display OK in most browsers but you cant do better than a simple text editor.

Beans
    Distro

FrontPage added a lot of extra stuff. Vue does too.

I used to use FrontPage for laying things out and hand-coding any of the server-side code in the source-code view. Now, though, I pretty much do it all by source code.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Remember that a lot of sites include a large amount of code behind the pages that you see. On the sites I have worked on, the visible content is probably only about 10% of the total code. Any decently complicated site is not going to use static HTML pages for its content. It's going to be running an application in something like PHP, Ruby, Python, etc., that handles things like database access and queries, managing cookies, validating user input, and in some cases, interfacing with other back-end systems like company databases. Some content management systems have enough hooks to handle some of these tasks, but in a lot of cases they need to be tailored to the needs of the site owner. I wrote an appointments manager for a health center recently and had to design the system to conform to HIPAA privacy requirements. Pre-packaged site builders cannot handle those kind of requirements.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Don't judge all WYSIWYG editors by Frontpage from years ago. Frontpage was always appalling and wrote brain-manglingly bad code. Others like Dreamweaver did much better, and include a lot of useful workflow tools. In fact Dreamweaver was still useful even if you were hand-coding when I used to use it. Things like being able to check and change links site-wide saved a lot of maintaining large sites, and it did nice things like collapsible code blocks too.
    Yeah, I've been using Dreamweaver for about a monthish now and so far I'm impressed with it. I rarely use the WYSIWYG part, though.

I was referring more to a web host's "site builders" than anything else. Granted it's been a couple years since I worked on a site for my Aunt, trying to insert an image in the middle of garbage code = nasty, especially when the interface for the site builder didn't have an insert image button.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    FrontPage added a lot of extra stuff. Vue does too.

I used to use FrontPage for laying things out and hand-coding any of the server-side code in the source-code view. Now, though, I pretty much do it all by source code.
    Sounds like what I do now.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

hope that never happens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast