Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to make an external harddrive internal?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is it possible to make an external harddrive internal?

Hi,
    I wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought this would be a safe place.

I have a 1.5TB Toshiba Canvio Basic external hard drive and I just need to know if its possible to make it an internal hard drive. On a laptop btw.

I googled how to make externals into internals, but only came up with how-tos for the big externals that need power sources. Mines just a small one with a usb cable.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is it possible to make an external harddrive internal?

most likely not possible External Hard drives usually in there own case & most likely different size 3.5" (unless it is Laptop Hdd) as laptop Hdd are 2.5" in size
    The Answer Please if at all Possible

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

But you can definitely make an internal harddrive external.

Beans

Its not an advice but I bet they don't make special disks for external use.
    When you would able to open it up without damaging you would find a 2.5 inch disk in it. My guess on the picture at toshiba.
    Then you can see if it is an ide or sata device... I also have used external disks out of the casing, even my DVD-recorder.
    I needed a dvd player to read the dvd to install some linux mint, which was just too big for a Cd. And could not boot from usb.
    It is usually a big game to open the box without damage. The are not made to be opened easely. Mabe someone did it already for you on youtube.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Redalien0304 View Post
    most likely not possible External Hard drives usually in there own case & most likely different size 3.5" (unless it is Laptop Hdd) as laptop Hdd are 2.5" in size
    Pretty much this. An external drive is basically just a laptop (2.5") or desktop (3.5") drive in it's own enclosure with it's own interface and power supply.

Possible, but you would have to know which model uses a 2.5" drive.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

all you need is a screwdriver to take the external plastic case off and remove the hdd and install it into the computer
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanch View Post
    Hi,
    I have a 1.5TB Toshiba Canvio Basic external hard drive and I just need to know if its possible to make it an internal hard drive. On a laptop btw.
    That's a 2.5" drive so it should fit in your laptop http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822149255

BUT you would have to remove the drive from it's enclosure (voiding the warranty) and check if it has a SATA connector as some of those 2.5" external drives have the USB connector directly on the drives logic board without any SATA connector and if that's the case then you cannot use it in your laptop. Another factor is the drive thickness, some 2.5" drives are thicker than normal so might not work but this is the minority.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YYCrFwMrEU dunno if your's opens the same way.

If you can post some pics of the actual drive inside the enclosure I'll be able to tell you more but keep in mind this could void your warranty.
    Last edited by mips; April 24th, 2013 at 01:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by kuifje09 View Post
    Its not an advice but I bet they don't make special disks for external use.
    They don't. External drives are just normal internal drives in a case. Nothing at all stopping you from taking it out of the case and slapping it into a machine if it's the right size. One of the nice things about SATA is that the connectors are the same for 2.5" and 3.5" drives, so you can fit either into a desktop (but only 2.5" into a laptop).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    all you need is a screwdriver to take the external plastic case off and remove the hdd and install it into the computer
    +1.....mostly.

Most external drives are compact drives, i.e. 2.5" drives, which are what most laptops use.

Most external drives are very standard drives that will work just fine using standard connections if you remove them from their enclosures.

The problem, is that some external drives have all the connections soldered to the board instead of using standard sata connections, which means that converting them to an internal drive is not worth the effort or outright impossible. They also sometimes (more rarely) are made with 1.8" drives or something highly non-standard.

Also, if you open up the external enclosure and it isn't going to work for whatever reason, there's a chance that you won't be able to get the enclosure back together and working. Many of them are not built with disassembly in mind. That means this is generally not a good plan unless the drive is a throw-a-way, or the replacement cost is just pocket change to you, but if that's the case, just buy a drive and call it good. They're cheap.
    My blog about getting your life in gear: Growing Up After 30.

My Photography: Stephen Michael Photography.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb View Post
    The problem, is that some external drives have all the connections soldered to the board instead of using standard sata connections, which means that converting them to an internal drive is not worth the effort or outright impossible.
    This is right. If you have an electronics degree, it's probably possible. But it's probably not worth it. It might be a little easier to rig it in a desktop case by just connecting it to one of the internal USB connections. But it's not going to be worth the effort for a laptop.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast