Thread: .wmv file not playing

Beans

.wmv file not playing

Hello all,
    I am a newbie into the world of linux and I have a 64-bit Asus K55V laptop and I had installed the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit version using the WUBI installer.Now, I am trying to play a .wmv file and I went through a gazillion threads on how to rectify the problem.

When I first tried, it gave me an error "Python (v2.7) requires to install plugins to play media files of the following type: video/x-asf-unknown decoder". Please pardon me if I am wrong anywhere. After a lot of research, I downloaded the unrestricted-extras, done with the update command in terminal and even downloaded w64codecs. ( since my machine is 64 bit). Now, it gives me the same error, but it plays the audio. I even added the mediubuntu repo into the sources.list or something like that, but no luck

Also, I downloaded Kplayer, VLC, Mplayer and tried the different combinations. All the players play audio perfectly, but no VIDEO.

Please HELP !!!! I have some real urgency to view these videos and they are all .wmv format.

cheers in advance
    chemical

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: .wmv file not playing !!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by speartip View Post

Tried it as well. In the software center, I am not able to find totem media player when I type TOTEM in the search bar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

See if you have the FFmpeg plugin installed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You're obviously missing something from your install.
    I have 12.04 64 bit installed & every player I found could play a .wmv. VLC, Totem & Kaffeine.
    check you have the canonical partner repos enabled, in synaptic, (if you don't have synaptic install it) then try reinstalling ubuntu-restricted-extras.
    Other than that I don't know what to suggest. I can't see it being a wubi problem, although IMO, dual booting is far better than a wubi install.

Beans

There is a class of WMV files that will not play in 64-bit Linux because the codec file needed for them is only available in a 32-bit build. See this thread for details and some workarounds.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chemical1608 View Post
    I have some real urgency to view these videos and they are all .wmv format. l
    Can you post one of these troublesome files online?
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Re: .wmv file not playing

If it is mms2 then on 64bit install there still is no Ubuntu/Debian solution.
    But as andrew.46 noted on linked thread a relatively current mplayer that uses FFmpeg will have no issue in 64 bit installs
    (repo mplayer packages use Libav which does not have mss2 decoding support

Beans

Hey Speartip,

"check you have the canonical partner repos enabled". Where and how exactly do I do this?

Cheers
    chemical1608

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chemical1608 View Post
    Hey Speartip,

"check you have the canonical partner repos enabled". Where and how exactly do I do this?

Cheers
    chemical1608
    Go into synaptic, settings, repositories, other software, & make sure canonical partners & independants are ticked.