Thread: Netflix-desktop help for a poor sap who installed last week's Silverlight update

Beans

Netflix-desktop help for a poor sap who installed last week's Silverlight update

Hi,

I have been using the netflix-desktop software from PPA along with wine-compholio and wine-browser-installer.

Last week an update to Microsoft Silverlight broke netflix-desktop.

Many people have posted workarounds that allow you to avoid doing the update in the first place. Unfortunately, I did not know the Silverlight update would break anything and so I foolishly installed it. I now have audio only on my Netflix, no video. Now I need either to get the current version working or to revert to the pre-update version and use one of the suggested workarounds.

Here is the bug on Launchpad with all the workarounds in the comments section
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/netflix-desktop/+bug/1168939

I have tried removing my entire .wine and .wine-browser directories, purging wine, wine-compholio, wine-browser-installer and netflix-desktop, and reinstalling all of the above, with no success.

I am wondering if the wine version of Firefox, which would include the Silverlight update, is hiding somewhere on my system outside of my .wine directory, and I need also to delete it and reinstall? I suspect this because I have noticed there is no Mozilla or Firefox in my Program Files folder under .wine.

Or is there something else I can do?

Edit: the most recent Launchpad comment is
    "I've pushed an updated version to the build farm that will disable the Firefox auto-update."
    What is a build farm, and how can I get this updated version, after such time as I get the broken version off my system?

thanks
    hreichgott
    Last edited by hreichgott; April 25th, 2013 at 04:16 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Netflix-desktop help for a poor sap who installed last week's Silverlight update

Run
    Code:
    wine .wine-browser/drive_c/Program\ Files/Mozilla\ Firefox/firefox.exe
    go to menus Tools, Options, Advanced, Update tab, and disable automatic updates. Let me know if this works.

Beans

Re: Netflix-desktop help for a poor sap who installed last week's Silverlight update

That worked! Thank you so much.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Great! Could you please mark the thread solved? See my signature if you need help doing so.

Beans

Sorry to be a complete muppet but what do you mean by Run Code?

Does this need to be done in a terminal?

Sorry for being a bit of a clown.

Beans

Yes. Open a terminal window and paste that command into it. You will need to press enter at the end of it.

Alternatively, I gather from the following instructions that it launghes a GUI program, so rather than entering the command into a terminal, you could press Alt-F2 and paste the command into that prompt. This second method is no good for command-line programs that print their output, but is OK for launching GUI programs. It doesn't leave a command-prompt window open.

Beans

This is going to sound really stupid but when I paste this into the Terminal window and hit return it gives me 'No Command Wine found, did you mean:' with a whole buch of options. Am I missing something?

Beans

Actually, I think that command is wrong. I think he's just launching firefox in wine, and disabling automatic updates in that. If so, I think the command should be:
    Code:
    wine .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Mozilla\ Firefox/firefox.exe