Thread: Looking Installation Help

Beans

Looking Installation Help

Hopefully, I'm not committing a faux pas with this posting... I'm looking for some help installing Ubuntu 12.04 along side (dual boot) Windows 8 on a new Toshiba notebook. I successfully did this 2-3 years ago with Win/Xp and Vista, but this new system with it's updated (non-) bios and windows 8 is leaving me with question after question on how to proceed. E.g.
    1. The LiveCD I created and integrity checked puts up an unreadable 1st screen (apparently with 3 options). I can get by this to the Ubuntu desktop by hitting enter, but I don't know if it's really safe to proceed with what ever selection I've made.
    2. Networking (even wired) doesn't work running the LiveCD - the network tools insist the cable is unplugged and no wireless networks are available even though both wired and wifi work fine with windows. I don't know why.
    3. I've found forum postings on how to proceed (allocate a new partition under windows of sufficient size, turn off fast & secure booting, ...). I've found, I believe, how to do the latter, but when I attempt to create a new partition,
      • I can't make the main Win 8 partition smaller than 529 GB (down from 920 GB), I was hoping to make it somewhat smaller.
      • When I try to create a new partition, I'm asked if a drive letter should be assigned or not, ... - I don't know the answer or if it matters.
      • Forum postings imply that I perhaps need two or three partitions for Ubuntu (one main, one for swap space, one for grub and/or efi use??) so I'm not sure how many partitions of what size to create.

4. etc. and I haven't even gotten to the actual install yet, much less fixing the networking problem and performing the threatened need to do a boot-repair after I'm done.

Is there anyone out there who would have the time and inclination to answer a lot of (probably dumb) questions like this or even actually sit down with me (their place or mine, coffee shop, ...) and help me through the process? Maybe for free coffee/lunch/both? I'm located in NE St. Paul (White Bear Lake).

Larry
    Last edited by LarryMcMains; April 27th, 2013 at 09:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Looking Installation Help

Welcome aboard!

Sorry I can't help with your problem, My Windows Knowledge ended with XP.

Try posting in the " Installation & Upgrades" forum.

Good luck, and stay involved. I would like to see more activity in the Minnesota LoCo.
    Last edited by JRV; April 25th, 2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Moderation in all things; including moderation.

Beans

Re: Looking Installation Help