Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Windows 7 challenge

Beans

My Windows 7 challenge

Okay I have not booted into windows 7 in MONTHS now thanks to the netflix workaround on linux, but today I decided why not give Win7 a few days to shine, I have neglected it for a while and feel kind of sorry for it as I will honestly say I like windows 7 (the best one I have used since win2k)
    So my goal?
    Go a full week under windows 7 without booting over to the other side.
    Yeah simple I know but hey as i said I feel bad for my win7 install that I barely use.
    But I got to get this thing tweaked a little, so first step:
    Install ambiance theme for windows 7 to make it feel like Ubuntu so I can feel more at home

Beans

Re: My Windows 7 challenge

Win7 was the best OS I have used in all my life and have never had a BOD error or virus/malware. I prefer Linux but can not say anything to bad about MS.

Beans

The thing about win7 is that its about the bling, performance wise its a slug compared to linux even with my more then adequate hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Windows 7 is a great OS.

The best Microsoft have ever produced by a very large margin.

Win8 may be technically superior but for an all round OS Win7 rocks.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Win8 superior?
    Only on touchscreens, I have a desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'll be interested to see your updates on how windows 7 seems to you now that you were totally off it for a while...when i got my new computer about 7 months ago, i ran windows 7 for about 1 1/2 months before wiping it out and replacing with ubuntu...but while i was using it, i found it to be quite nice...much nicer then previous versions of windows i had used...i was actually pretty impressed with it...

So, your impressions of it upon returning i think will be most interesting...

As far as windows 8, i hate metro (have worked with it) but i've read that if you have windows 8, but use a 3rd party program like "start 8" to return the desktop to the windows 7 interface, that it is very nice to work with (without using metro at all)...and does have certain performance, security and speed improvements over windows 7....Though again, i found windows 7 to be quite nice indeed...
    Last edited by craig10x; April 22nd, 2013 at 03:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Talking Re: My Windows 7 challenge

I currently use two computers with separate OS's. My current Windows box is an Asus® CM1630-06 (Advance Micro Devices® Athlon II® X2 220 MPU and 760G chipset, 4 GB DDR3-1066 SDRAM main memory, a planar ATi® Radeon® HD 3000™ in reserve) packing an EAH6850 DirectCU® video card (Advance Micro Devices® Radeon® HD™ 6850 GPU, 1 GB GDDR5-1800 video memory) and a XONAR® Essence™ STX audio card (Asus® AV-100, mfd. for ASUSTeK Computer by C-Media International), plus an Antec® TruePower® New™ 750 Blue to supply the system power; its primary advantages over my Ubuntu® rig are near-zero-latency audio streaming and full support for applications unavailable in LinUX. I've a preliminary plan to rebuild it for Ubuntu® 14.04-LTS, AMD64 Edition, as its BIOS is end-of-the-lined for Microsoft® Windows® Se7en™ Service Pack n 7.0.800n (MultiProcessor Kernel 6.1.760n), upon purchase of a system to run under Windows® 8ight™ Service Pack 1 64-bit 8.0.10001 (MultiProcessor Kernel 6.2.9201).

My current LinUX box, a hot rod in an Everex® TC2502 case, of course runs Ubuntu® 12.04.2-LTS, AMD64 Edition (Kernel 3.2.0-41-generic), and is loaded with diagnostic and repair tools for addressing a snafu involving all released generations of the Microsoft® NT™ File System in an eSATA external drive, in addition to a slew of partitions in ext4 on its own hard drive for regular service.
    Last edited by bcschmerker; May 3rd, 2013 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Data correction, Asus M4A78LM.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Win8 may be technically superior but for an all round OS Win7 rocks.
    Agreed. I'm not quite a fan of Win 8, even though I've used it a little bit at work.

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Win8 superior?
    It works "OK" with keyboard and mouse, but they moved everything around and changed the way the interface is setup, so there is a learning curve.

Good luck with your challenge.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Win8 superior?
    You missed the point of what i said. You thought i was viewing it through the prism of it's user interface.

This should make it clearer; what i was trying to say.

/technically/technologically

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; April 22nd, 2013 at 03:23 AM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    Win7 was the best OS I have used in all my life and have never had a BOD error or virus/malware. I prefer Linux but can not say anything to bad about MS.
    I agree.

That is really all I have to say. Some folks are stuck on the ideology (ie - the Linux / open-source ideology), but I have found Windows 7 to be a fairly decent OS.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast