Thread: Are there any Ubuntu repair people in Dallas area--will pay

Beans

Are there any Ubuntu repair people in Dallas area--will pay

Update manager tells me that it "Failed to load the package list" and that "This is a serious problem. Try again later. If this problem appears again, please report an error to the developers." I have tried this repeatedly, after full shutdowns and restarts--same result.

Details are:

"E:Unable to parse package file /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_universe_i8n_Tr anslation-en(1), Eroblem opening /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_raring_updates_ main_binary-amd64_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened."

Machine is a Toshiba Portege R-835 running 64-bit Ubuntu 12.10. What happened is that, as I was, by the invitation, downloading 13.04 ringtail, the computer crashed. Have been having problems with the apport reporting bug and user/bin/signon-ui has been blocking shutdown. Oh, and the red circle with the white bar in the middle is showing in the top bar, and when clicked, says that the details above "usually means that your installed packages have unmet dependencies".

I had been hoping that ringtail would 'fix,' by replacement, the apport and signon files that had turned problematical. Instead, I now seem to have a permanently unchangeable installation. At this point, this probably is beyond my meager capabilities. Are there any skilled 'repair people' in the Dallas metro area? I'll pay! Or is this installation now defunct?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Are there any Ubuntu repair people in Dallas area--will pay

Open at terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get check
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    See how far you get.

I normally find that it's quicker to create a Live USB of the distro of choice and do a clean install. Repairing can be time consuming and you never know what else is broken. What caused the computer to crash in the first place?
    Last edited by tgalati4; April 27th, 2013 at 02:52 AM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

In terminal:

Code:
    sudo rm -r /var/lib/apt/lists/*
    sudo mkdir /var/lib/apt/lists/partial
    sudo apt-get update
    And that should fix it

And welcome back

Beans

tgalati4 and ibjsb4: Thanks much!

But one question: do I do each in turn, hitting enter after each (as I'm guessing), or the whole lot?

(Want to get it right!)

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

One line at a time.