Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netflix to dump Silverlight.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Netflix to dump Silverlight.

Well I don't watch Netflix myself, but there seems to be considerable interests here I just want to share this with you. Netflix is going to dump Silverlight and move to HTML5.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...nds-in-the-way

The bad news is that
    "Netflix will use HTML5 technologies incorporating some EME (Encrypted Media Extensions) for playback of secure data transmission.
    Apparently the technology EME is not currently supported by Linux thus making it impossible to play Netflix content on Ubuntu or other Linux distributions. "

http://www.lffl.org/2013/04/netflix-...ice-addio.html
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; April 21st, 2013 at 03:35 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Netflix to dump Silverlight.

I wonder how this will affect me if I only use my bluray player for watching Netflix.

I only use my PC when someone doesn't want to play on the bluray.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    I wonder how this will affect me if I only use my bluray player for watching Netflix.

Depends on what your bluray player is, if it's a PS3 it'll play html5 just fine as well as flash, HTML5 is used on mobile devices anyway (I watch netflix on my ipad and it does not have flash or sliverlight) So it appears they're just rolling out to one display stack, about time, can't wait for youtube to go full html5 and drop flash (flash is dead...)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Rukiri View Post
    Depends on what your bluray player is, if it's a PS3 it'll play html5 just fine as well as flash, HTML5 is used on mobile devices anyway (I watch netflix on my ipad and it does not have flash or sliverlight) So it appears they're just rolling out to one display stack, about time, can't wait for youtube to go full html5 and drop flash (flash is dead...)
    I'm using an actual bluray player, so I think it uses Java or something as a base. Not really sure as the manual doesn't really go into the specifics.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The PS3 is locked-down hardware with a specially-designed application for playing netflix. I don't know if it even uses Silverlight in the first place.
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory solution to your problem.

Beans

Well dropping silverlight is good and we can still use the current netflix workaround if we update firefox via WINE probably
    hopefully whatever it will need we can workaround in WINE until a linux solution can be done about it

Or we may not need a workaround as i know google chrome webm does work in linux and there may be a way around it with that.
    Last edited by MadmanRB; April 21st, 2013 at 07:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't have a need for streaming video but it seems like if Linux wants to run with the big dogs, it's going to need to accomodate DRM encumbered media. The media companies don't make $billions by giving their crap away, ya gotta pay. Netflix deserves credit for at least moving away from Silverlight to a better documented solution. Maybe other companies will follow suit sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by kurt18947; April 21st, 2013 at 09:20 PM.

Beans

well yeah sadly there will be a need for a drm workaround but it will come.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

"We're going to give you a little hope, and then we're going to DASH it! Muhahaha"

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post

Most people watch Netflix from some kind of device. There's no way they are going to do something that would cut off the majority of their customers.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    if Linux wants to run with the big dogs, it's going to need to accomodate DRM encumbered media.
    How do you propose this happen? DRM systems largely depend on proprietary algorithms with secret keys. The reason Linux doesn't support DRM is because an open-source operating system has no method for reverse-engineering the encryption schemes. If Netflix thought Linux viewers were a large enough audience for its product, it would have released a proprietary Linux player long ago. Evidently they don't see the value in reaching out to Linux users.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast