Thread: when trying to install ubuntu by creating a disk

Beans

when trying to install ubuntu by creating a disk

i went through the procedure on the website to download the image disk on my comp to be ready to load to the DVD. but when i right click, i dont have the "open with" option.

does anyone know what else i can do? im trying to replace windows completely.

thanks in advance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: when trying to install ubuntu by creating a disk

Quote Originally Posted by stewiesguitar View Post
    i went through the procedure on the website to download the image disk on my comp to be ready to load to the DVD. but when i right click, i dont have the "open with" option.

thanks in advance
    You will need to install an iso burning program to burn Ubuntu to disc. A popular app for doing so is ImgBurn

Also, I recommend that you setup a dual boot, which allows you to choose to boot into Windows or Ubuntu at startup. Many people find that after they install Ubuntu, they are sometimes missing _______ app, which only ran under windows. Having a Windows dual boot allows you to boot into Windows when you need to use Windows-Only software.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Re: when trying to install ubuntu,

will it delete my hard drive to start from scratch?

Beans

Re: when trying to install ubuntu,

In the installation options, it will ask you if you want it to start from scratch or keep windows and dual boot. The latter will resize the hard drive into two partitions, one for windows, and one for Ubuntu. Your windows partition should be accessible from Ubuntu, but not the other way around. I would also recommend at least starting with a dual boot. If you end up not using the windows partition, you can always get rid of it later.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by stewiesguitar View Post

thanks in advance
    +1 to sandyd's suggestion to Dual-Boot Windows and Ubuntu. Since you are beginner to Linux, for now keep Windows until such time that you are comfortable with Ubuntu.

Now, What version of Windows are you using? The answer is important.
    If Windows8 then, did it come pre-installed? ...because Windows8 machines have certain hardware features which need a bit extra from our side to install any other OS on the machine. Once you confirm we'll help.
    What are the specifications of your Hardware on your computer?

So if you want to Dual-Boot (which we recommend you do) give your self a bit more time and do it properly. But first BACK UP ALL YOUR IMPORTANT DATA.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    But first BACK UP ALL YOUR IMPORTANT DATA.
    +1 to fantab's suggestion. This includes making sure that you know where your recovery disks are.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Please use CODE tags.
    A low-volume blog