Thread: Interested in Getting Involved

Beans

Interested in Getting Involved

So I wasn't sure where to begin posting this topic / question so I figured here was as good as a place as any (and I did not see a thread that covered this) but I have played around as a gnu/linux user for about 3-4 years now (various distributions: Ubuntu and OpenSuse have been the primary Distro's that I have liked) and I've become interested in possibly participating in some small or minor projects. I have not done a lot of coding but I am proficient with C and I have been learning Python syntax and I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some advice on some projects that I could participate in so I can 1. Become a better programmer and 2. Become active within the community.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

JMJ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Interested in Getting Involved

OpenHatch might be a good place to start.

OpenHatch is a non-profit dedicated to matching prospective free software contributors with communities, tools, and education.
    http://openhatch.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There is more than just programming. You could get into documentation for a program that doesn't have much. Documentation and official user guides are a current weakness of open-source.

If you want to program, find a little niche! The niche I found was the lack of programs for encoding video for Sony Walkman MP3 players. You can do it with Handbrake, as long as you know the precise settings to use; but my program made it pure simplicity to do. Supports multi-core CPUs too.

Find your niche - it's much better than just another FPS or just another music player.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Here's a little suggestion that would benefit a lot of people.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Thanks for all of the advice. I'll look into Openhatch and the problem that Morgaes has suggested is definently something that could help a lot of people. I don't know much about that problem but I can do some research and see if there is something I could contribute to. However, 3rdalbum I like your suggestion of working on documentation for various programs. I've noticed in the past that many man pages were incomplete and documentation for alot of programs missing. I think I will look more into that and volunteer for some projects. Thank you so much for the suggestions and if you have any more I would be glad to hear them.

JMJ

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

There's also testing of the new development release 13.10, which will begin in a few weeks time. Just install, try to break it and report the bugs you find.

The wiki is another area in need of some love. Deleting obsolete text is a good beginner's task.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you read the 'Getting involved' page on the Ubuntu website?

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/get-involved
    Cheesemill