Thread: Experience with 12.10 on Nexus 7 *Update 13.04*

Beans

Experience with 12.10 on Nexus 7 *Update 13.04*

Greetings Everyone. just installed Ubuntu 12.10 and did the obligatory sudo apt-get update for my Nexus 7 tablet and I am very impressed with the performance. Grant it this does not turn my tablet into a full fledged laptop but I beleive with a bit of tweaking it can very well give one a decent challenge. The keyboard I am using is an old PlayStation 3 Bluetooth enabled one and the handy thing is it has a built in mouse style trackpad built in (the keyboard itself is a Logitech one made specifically for the PS3).

Internet works fine, video and sound are fine as is the wireless (was able to pick up my home network with no issues). I have also checked out YouTube and configured "Thunderbird" email client without issues. Grant it I have only been at it a couple hours literally but so far so good!
    Last edited by RubenAlonzo; April 20th, 2013 at 08:30 AM.

Beans

Re: Experience with 12.10 on Nexus 7 *UPDATE 13.04*

Super stable, feels like a laptop for an Oompa-Loompa, albeit a FAST one at that. Just keeps getting better and better with every tweak!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Experience with 12.10 on Nexus 7 *Update 13.04*

Not a support question.

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Re: Experience with 12.10 on Nexus 7 *Update 13.04*

Bugs so far:

Have to hard shutdown with "sudo shutdown -h now" command line, as trying to do it the traditional way only results in a reboot. Not certain of the Tegra 3 vidcard performance yet but I suspect there are no drivers for this distro as they pertain to tablet intergration. Screen rotation at times show graphical glitches when switching from to lanscape mode but this is for less than a second.

Boot is stable and it remembers my home network with the WiFi and connects automatically. Firefox is very stable, much more so than when initially installed so the update to the distro had some positive effects.

Video performance and sound are top notch, as is torrent performance with Transmission. Built in app software center is fine and no problems so far. Battery life is great! As good if not better than stock Nexus 7 running Android 4.+ Jellybean. Surprising battery life actually. IRC using Pidgin works great as well.

Email intergration, Cloud integration (Ubuntu One) working fine. I will keep updating as I mess with this install over the weekend, only installed it last night simply out of boredom.

By the way, I am a complete Linux noob so I am learning as I go, I was going to buy a Raspberry Pi to teach myself Linux on, but since i saw a youtube video by sakitech who uploaded a Nexus 7 Linux how-to, I figured what the heck, it can't hurt and I already have a Nexus 7. May as well give it a shot.