Thread: Ubuntu is Running Slowly

Threaded View

Beans

Ubuntu is Running Slowly

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't really sure where to put this.

I decided to try out Ubuntu because I heard it was faster than Windows XP, and since I have an old laptop, it was pretty slow (although, I uninstalled some of my old games that I stopped playing halfway through, and it's running faster now.). I downloaded Wubi, and it was set to 18 GB(I only have 42 GB of space available on my hard drive, it holds a total of around 70 GB), and let Ubuntu download overnight.

When I woke up, I found that my laptop had somehow been unplugged, and it had turned off. I turned it back on, selected Ubuntu, and waited while it installed (at least I think that's what it was doing.), and then I logged in. I left for a few minutes while it booted up. When I came back, it was sort of slow at first, but then it was going faster than XP unless I had more than one application open. After that, the speed started to fluctuate, firefox froze a few times, and I had to go on another computer to figure out how to kill a program when it freezes.

When I restarted and went to XP, it was much more stable, and it's average speed was faster, so I'm assuming that it's some sort of compatibility issue, or the way that I installed it.

Here are my system specs (this is all taken from dxdiag):

System Model: Toshiba Sattelite A40(this is strange, because this has never showed up as my system model. I did a google search and that is not my laptop.)
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M Processor 1.60GHz
    Memory: 504MB RAM
    Graphics: Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express

So is Ubuntu not going to run properly on my laptop?

Would I be better off with a different version(I've seen Lubuntu, Xubuntu, etc. and don't know if any of them would suit my needs better.)? I mainly use this computer for surfing the internet, and playing older games like Baldur's Gate, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and various DOS games through DOSBox. I'm also getting into programming, and now that I'm getting closer to finishing my C# course, I'm starting to think about learning some other programming languages. I plan on getting a career in video game design, and I would like to be able to design games so that they can be played on Ubuntu without having to use a special program to run windows applications. Besides that, from what I've heard, Ubuntu is a good OS for messing around with programming and such, so that could be fun.

What would be the best way to install Ubuntu? I would prefer to keep XP until I test out Wine to make sure all of the programs and games I have will work properly.
    Last edited by VicariousToast; April 21st, 2013 at 10:13 PM.