Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freezing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Freezing

have you tried what i told you?
    dell inspiron 1521, AMD Turion, ATI mobility radeon x1270.

Beans

Sorry mate, didn't see your reply. The grub.cfg is located in /boot/grub ? if so, it doesn't matter where I add it ?

Thanks alot !

Beans
    Distro

right now, i am on a windows machine...
    take this:
    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/108519
    dont forget to run
    sudo update-grub2
    that thing have worked for my machine, i dont know about yours.

Beans

It seems that it stopped for a while, I hope it will continue this way.
    Thanks guys, you are awesome !

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Well if it was message signalled interrupts causing the problem then nomsi was a great shout.

If it does return then post back but, hopefully, that fixed it.

There are many, many things that can cause random freezes.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

I tried the following without going into Terminal and it seems to work so far..
    I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 onan ASUS model K35E (if you want to know more, just let me know...)

Go Dash Home and on the search line, type, "xdiagnose"...(if nothing shows up...check with the Ubuntu Software Center...)
    if you're not sure if you have xdiagnose...you can go to the Ubuntu Software Center icon on the left hand menu of icons...(the icon that looks like an orange shopping bag..) press the "Installed" label button, then check the Developers Tools menu...you will probably see xdiagnose at the bottom...(there is a picture of a microscope...)
    anyhow...I opened xdiagnose and it popped up with a few choices...

at the bottom is a checkbox with the label "Disable PAT Memory"...
    with a popup that reads, "This pagetable extension can interfere with the memory management of proprietary drivers under certain situations and cause lagging or failures to allocate video memory, so turning it off can prevent these problems."

I checked the box...and so far, my computer stopped freezing...

Just so's ya know...I'm running an i5-2430m CPU @ 4.40Ghz x 4
    but the "About This Computer" (you can find this on Ubuntu 12.10 in the upper right hand corner of the screen...there is a small icon that looks like a gear...)
    says "Graphics Unknown"...

My computer is running an "Integrated Intel GMA HD" graphics whatchamacallit...

I was hitting freezes every few minutes while online (and sometimes offline)...and since I disabled the PAT memory...well...so far so good.

Tell me if you think this is a bad thing. My computer was originally specifically designed for Windows OSs...and I've grown to despise Window's ability to turn a hard drive into a pile of iron oxide....further...the hard drive had a hardware issue and wouldn't boot every time...so I removed the hard drive and use a Seagate 640 GB FreeAgent GoFlex USB drive (not sure what the techies call the thing but it loads and runs Ubuntu just fine...) that I bought at WalMart....(try doing THAT with Windows...)
    Nope...still freezing...
    think I'll try some of the suggestions above...(I'm still keeping PAT off until I'm sure...)
    So..I tried rrich1974's suggestion to run sudo update-grub2....if I freeze again...well, let's just say that the color I change the text to won't be orange....
    Last edited by matt_symes; April 21st, 2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: fix didn't work

Beans
    Distro

offtopic
    graphics unknown means that you must install "mesa-utils"
    in fact, ubuntu do see your graphic chipset, but it does not tell you!

but read my entire suggestion, add 'pci=nomsi" and then run "sudo update-grub2"

Beans

@rrich1974.....its working....

er...well...no it's not...
    hmm...

So...I checked the syslog...
    and suprise...I found out several error messages that basically said "GPU hung"...

Apr 15 13:04:48 patrick-K53E kernel: [ 2108.190101] [drm:i915_hangcheck_hung] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung

Apr 15 13:05:06 patrick-K53E kernel: [ 2126.918180] atl1c 0000:03:00.0: vpd r/w failed. This is likely a firmware bug on this device. Contact the card vendor for a firmware update.
    and then went to another thread called, "internal error, GPU hung"...and I'm not the only one...something to do with an update we uploaded at one time or another
    so...
    Last edited by matt_symes; April 21st, 2013 at 04:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by plbuster View Post
    Apr 15 13:04:48 patrick-K53E kernel: [ 2108.190101] [drm:i915_hangcheck_hung] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung

Apr 15 13:05:06 patrick-K53E kernel: [ 2126.918180] atl1c 0000:03:00.0: vpd r/w failed. This is likely a firmware bug on this device. Contact the card vendor for a firmware update.
    You have an intel graphics card and the sandybridge arch ?

This is a known issue.

It can be fixed by updating your kernel to one of the 3.8.

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

There may be other fixes out there by now but updating the kernel is a known fix.

It is unlikely that you PC is old enough or uncommon enough to be affected by msi. random suggestions rarely help and it is much better to actually try and diagnose the issue.

If you need instruction on how to install a new kernel then post back.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; April 21st, 2013 at 04:54 PM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro

@matt symes
    i think you are right, i have applied "pci=nomsi" on my laptop that is pretty old (2008), but it is worth to try! you never know....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12