Thread: Did I create this network share correctly?

Beans

Did I create this network share correctly?

I installed Xubuntu on an old Dimension2400 to see if it will serve me well as NAS. Anyhow, I wanted to create a simple shared folder to see if my windows machine and WDTVlive box would be able to see it. What I did worked, I'm just wondering if this is the best/easiest/most correct way to accomplish this or did I just happen to stumble upon my success?

1) Xubuntu terminal
    2)
    Code:
    cd /
    (should I have created this folder in root?
    3)
    Code:
    sudo mkdir testshare
    4)
    Code:
    sudo chmod a+rwx testshare
    5) install samba
    6) xubuntu system settings>samba - add share, select my 'testshare' folder and apply permissions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Did I create this network share correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by burgertime78 View Post
    I installed Xubuntu on an old Dimension2400 to see if it will serve me well as NAS. Anyhow, I wanted to create a simple shared folder to see if my windows machine and WDTVlive box would be able to see it. What I did worked, I'm just wondering if this is the best/easiest/most correct way to accomplish this or did I just happen to stumble upon my success?

1) Xubuntu terminal
    2)
    Code:
    cd /
    (should I have created this folder in root?
    3)
    Code:
    sudo mkdir testshare
    4)
    Code:
    sudo chmod a+rwx testshare
    5) install samba
    6) xubuntu system settings>samba - add share, select my 'testshare' folder and apply permissions
    If it works then it is good for you. Will you have multiple users sharing data in this directory? What happens then?
    -BAB1

Beans

Yes, I mean, this directory was only a test. But, if it were not a test, it would be a dir which contained movies and I would want all machines in my house to have full access for streaming purposes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by burgertime78 View Post
    Yes, I mean, this directory was only a test. But, if it were not a test, it would be a dir which contained movies and I would want all machines in my house to have full access for streaming purposes.
    The test is not complete. Machines don't have access, users do. By users I mean user accounts. These accounts are not just you, there are system users too.

The type of share you have created are Samba usershares. Typically these shares are created by users in their own home directory. The permissions are either the user or all users. The way you are using the share there could be permissions issues. This can only be determined by by you using the shares and seeing what happens.

The other type of share is created by the administrator (root) of the machine via sudo. This is done by editing the /etc/samba/smb.conf file. The administrator can control user access via permissions. This is the type of share that typically resides outside of the users home directory (i.e /data or /srv or /share).

So basically you are using an ad hoc type of share to do administrator duties. If the share you have created doesn't work you will have to revert to administrator created shares. On an Ubuntu host, the first user created at install time has the right to administer the the machine (via sudo). Did you install Ubuntu? This user has the UID of 1000. We can see what account that is with this command at the CLI in the terminal
    Code:
     getent passwd 1000
    I am the administrator of my install. Here is what I get
    Code:
    getent passwd 1000
    bab:x:1000:1000:bab,,,:/home/bab:/bin/bash
    -BAB1