Thread: Are Bonx6 video cards and processors customer replaceable?

Beans

Are Bonx6 video cards and processors customer replaceable?

Hello! I'm excited to consider the Bonx6 in my list of potential laptop+desktop replacements!

I'm sure the nVidia 670MX is no slouch. But I'm wondering if I purchased a Bonx6 with the 670MX, would I be able to replace it with a 680M somewhere down the line?

I know that the soldering-in of components is common on laptops. Is that the case with Bonx6 video cards or processors?

I'm assuming that RAM is customer-upgradeable for Bonx6. Do any of your laptops have the RAM soldered in?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Are Bonx6 video cards and processors customer replaceable?

Soldering in components is usually done to have space (since you don't need to waste space on a removeable socket). Since the Bonobo isn't designed to be compact, we don't solder any of those components in.

That said, we don't consider the CPU user-serviceable due to the extra steps required for a processor replacement. The GPU is only upgradeable to the GTX 680M, and I'm not sure if any other companies sell a module that will fit in our Bonobo.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Any of the other current laptop offerings have their RAM soldered in? Lemu4, Panp9, Gazp8?

Sounds like to play it safe on a Bonobo, I'd just count on sticking with whatever nVidia card I could manage at the time of purchase.

Thanks for the quick response!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

None of our systems use soldered RAM.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!