Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Nvidia HDMI No Sound

Beans

Re: Nvidia HDMI No Sound

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    Here is the kernel update checker install guide:
    https://github.com/GM-Script-Writer-...Updater#readme
    So I had an ASUS ROG G74Sx when I first installed Ubuntu 13.04 and updated to latest proprietary nVidia graphics drivers via Software Sources > Additional Drivers and got no hdmi sound (I don't remember whether I had sound before updating the drivers but I know they were up to date with working sound in the end). Then I came here and ran the script (before I had sound working; posting as bmass, and before you made the guide in this quote) and updated the kernel and my sound worked fine. It also fixed some other multi-monitor issues I was having. This would have been around April or May when Raring Ringtail first came out (and you can check the time from my posts as bmass).

Now I've just got a new ASUS N56VZ and unfortunately it has nVidia Optimus technology. I have high hopes that this will work a little better in Saucy Salamander (as I've read that it is supposed to) but for right now I have yet to find an nVidia driver update that doesn't completely break Unity (as in after login there is nothing but the wallpaper, no launcher or menu bar); so if anyone happens to know how to update nVidia drivers for Asus N56VZ without breaking Unity I would love to hear it either in a reply or personal message to keep the thread from going off topic. THE POINT is that I'm using the Nouveau drivers for my GeForce GT 650M as I haven't found any nVidia drivers that are acceptable.

Why am I mentioning all this video driver stuff? Some people have indicated that their ability to get audio out of an hdmi cable seems to be related somewhat to their graphics drivers. I don't know if it is for me.

I did manage to install Bumblebee with nVidia-304 drivers WITHOUT breaking Unity... but then I get no output through hdmi at all (no video, no audio, no detection from the cable period). From what I understand this is a known issue with a workaround here: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/08/get-h...ptimus-on.html but it involves runnig two simultaneous DEs and they aren't exactly connected the way two monitors are in a normal HDMI setup. SO IN THE END I ABANDONDED THIS SETUP.

Why am I including this information? If someone managed to get the setup working with Bumblebee and HDMI output for GT 650M or similar cards I would greatly appreciate any help or information.

For right now I understand that everything is running off my intel integrated graphics card which only has 64mb of memory. As far as I can tell, there is no good way for me to make use of my dedicated graphics card in Ubuntu 13.04. My best option for improved graphic performance is to increase the amount of video memory in the BIOS. Maybe 256mb or 512mb? Any suggestion?

Sorry if all that video information is very off-topic but I know sometimes nVidia controls audio and video which is why I imagine some people's setups were affected by video drivers. I just want to clarify that I have no proprietary drivers. Here is some info:
    Code:
    peacehammer@peacefactory:~$ lspci -k | grep -iA2 vga
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. N56VZ
        Kernel driver in use: i915
    --
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce GT 650M / GTX 660M LE] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. N56VZ
        Kernel driver in use: nouveau
    peacehammer@peacefactory:~$
    I am also kinda asking video advice in the hope that if I get nVidia drivers installed in a way that allows HDMI output that the sound might also work.

END OF SLIGHTLY OFF-TOPIC
    ===========================
    MAIN QUESTION:

So I'm running the Asus N56VZ with practically a vanilla install. I followed the guide you made in the quote and it seemed to carry out everything successfully. I updated to (what I assume to be) the latest kernel version and removed the old one. I rebooted successfully but there is still no option for HDMI output in the sound settings. Only Digital Ouput, Speakers, Analog Output

When I updated to the latest kernel with the G74Sx it was a few months ago and so I imagine a different kernel version. I have also seen that some people have solved their hdmi output problems by rolling back to an earlier kernel release. Is it the case that it was fixed and got broke again and that I need to try and rollback to a specific kernel release? Before carrying out the instructions in your guide I downloaded and installed the following packages in an effort to fix the issue as recommended by some other guides (which is why I said practically vanilla Ubuntu installtion):

linux-headers-3.8.8-030808_3.8.8-030808.201304170248_all.deb
    linux-headers-3.8.8-030808-generic_3.8.8-030808.201304170248_amd64.deb
    linux-image-3.8.8-030808-generic_3.8.8-030808.201304170248_amd64.deb
    linux-image-extra-3.8.8-030808-generic_3.8.8-030808.201304170248_amd64.deb
    oem-audio-hda-daily-dkms_0.201309071535~ubuntu13.04.1_all.deb

I have two of these laptops and the other one is currently running a completely vanilla Ubuntu 13.04 so I will follow the quoted instructions once more on that laptop (exact same laptop) and let you know if there is any difference in the results. Thanks again. Sorry for the off-topic video stuff.... I hope it actually turns out o be relevant or useful in some way and let me know if I can provide any more information. I'm also a lot more linux proficient than when I was posting as bmass

EDIT: Synaptic is showing my current kernel version to be 3.8.0 after running your script. I have no option for hdmi sound in sound settings or pulseaudio volume coontrol. I'm going to restart and try kernel version 3.8.8 again and restart. If it doesn't work I'll give the latest 3.10.5 a try and let you know if any of that works. Meanwhile I'll try your script on my vanilla Ubuntu to see if it was something else I did that borked this system. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by bmass; September 8th, 2013 at 04:11 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Nvidia HDMI No Sound

There a couple things that I see, that may be a part of your problem, the default kernel in Saucy is 3.11.0-4, and the default nvidia driver is 3i9.32.

Have you tried the upstream kernel, to see if the problem still exists? They are available here.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Nvidia HDMI No Sound

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    There a couple things that I see, that may be a part of your problem, the default kernel in Saucy is 3.11.0-4, and the default nvidia driver is 3i9.32.

Have you tried the upstream kernel, to see if the problem still exists? They are available here.
    So I just noticed this thread is in the Ubuntu +1 board. That means its for development and that I should be using the daily builds of Saucy Salamander or whatever the next upcoming release of Ubuntu is? I never realized this when I was posting back in April. Should I post for support in the Ubuntu General Help board or continue posting here? I am currently running Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail with kernel version 3.11.0-031100-generic

I am not trying to help develop the next Ubuntu release (yet, but hopefully in a few months to a year when I get a better grasp on things), I'm just trying to get my new laptops running the latest stable Ubuntu (13.04 for the next month and then Saucy when it's out and ready) with my dedicated graphics card (hopefully) and working HDMI output with video and audio. So please let me know if I should post in another board or continue posting here.

As far as the nVdia 319.32 driver (I just saw 319.49 on nVidia's website was released a couple weeks ago also), if I install any proprietary nVidia driver currently it breaks unity (this can be repaired be restarting unity with compiz and resolving conflicts with gnome-something i can't remeber-package but I'm not sure everything is working dandy) except when using Bumblebee but either way there is not even video output from HDMI. I only have video ouput with a basically vanilla install of Ubuntu. No nvidia drivers.

Still no sound output through HDMI (no option in sound settings) with any of the kernels. And again let me now if I should post in another board. Thanks.

P.S. I am still doing reading on how to best configure video drivers (with and without Bumblebee) with my N56VZs but one of the HDMI outputs completely crapped out (tried in Ubuntu 13.04, Mint 15, Windows 7), TVs are detected in Displays but just no video output; stupid refurbished laptops... but $1200 down to $650, who could resist? Anyway, I'm down to both finding a way to get HDMI sound to work with Nouveau drivers and trying to get HDMI video to work with nVidia drivers but down to one laptop. Sending the other one back for replacement. Got a S56CM that worked with HDMI sound on vanilla Ubuntu 13.04 install. I don't know if that information is relevant or helpful... they are pretty different systems except GPUs are both are GeForce 600M series with Optimus. Thanks btw.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345