Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Compiz fails, no unity, Blank desktop after 13.04 update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Compiz fails, no unity, Blank desktop after 13.04 update

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Same here. Must be hardware specific. Mind you this is a clean install from alpha. So clean home. No odd configs left over.
    I have ccsm running in raring across most platforms, ATi , Nvidia, Intel and AMD, 32bit and 64bit. ATi graphics has been tough though. Unity dash gets really distorted, especially on the most recent . dailys.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running 15.10 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans

Same thing happened to me, fine until yesterdays update. Just see the wallpaper, no unity and no amount of fiddling would fix it. Downloaded the latest daily build to usb and on bootup .. same thing.
    This is on a Lenovo T61p laptop with nvidia video (using open source drivers).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I did 'compiz --replace' in a terminal and desktop came back but crapy, after reboot seems to be working ok but slow booting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Please ignore this post. I have solved the problem

Beans

in a terminal window did a apt-get update and todays update that I just did now included something that now brings up the unity interface. problem now solved for me.

Beans

I had the same problem. Fiddled for a long time before I found a solution, and it turned out to be quite simple. Here's how I solved it:

1. Installed dconf-tools (didn't actually have to install this, because I already had it installed)
    2. Reset workspaces, launcher size etc....
    Code:
    dconf reset -f /org/compiz/
    3. Reset Unity with default icons:
    Code:
    unity --reset-icons
    After this, the screen flickered a few times, and voila, everything was back to normal. Hope this can help someone having the same problem

I got the idea for the solution from OMGUbuntu: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/h...2-10-and-13-04

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, All,

One more day, one more update - including a kernal upgrade from 3.5 to 3.8.0-19 #29 - and one more foul-up!

Back to a Blank Desktop background less than full screen size, without Launchers or Panels when logged-in to Ubuntu - though Gnome Classic Fallback still works. I can access that by 'Ctrl+Alt+Del' to logout to the greeter Log-in screen, which is normal and complete with top panel - and now the correct screen display size.

Nothing I tried cured the problem which this time it seems to be not Compiz but Plymouth which failed, 'Ctrl+Alt_F1' gives a hung TTY saying: "mountall: disconnected from Plymouth" and the opengl seems not to be active.

Further, reinstalling the nvidia driver, both from Additional Drivers and with NVIDIA.com Downloads failed, as both were trying to create modules for 3.5 not 3.8.

Only three days to go to the Release date, and I thought the Schedule called for a freeze 7 days from release, except for .iso finalisation.

I think I will wait till Thursday before re-installing 13.04.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; April 25th, 2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: command to reset compiz

Quote Originally Posted by serdotlinecho View Post
    You can also restart Unity from unity dash. Press Alt+F2 and type unity, Enter. Same with compiz, Alt+F2 and type compiz --replace, or from terminal:

Code:
    setsid compiz --replace
    I had a similar issue and this work for me on my parents computer. But on reboot, the issue popped back up. Luckily, I had another user account on the machine, logged in to it, deleted the other account leaving files, recreated account with same name. After that Bob's Your Uncle; every thing worked fine and after reboots and on top of that my mom got to keep all of her other settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Does Gnome classic use Compiz as the compositing manager?

Here is my tuppenny worth (2 cents worth) to solving this.

Right click the desktop and select Change Desktop Background. When System Settings opens click Software & Updates and at the Additional Drivers tab de-activate the Nvidia driver and activate the Nouveau driver. Then run
    Code:
    dconf reset -f /org/compiz/
    and reboot.

It works for me. The error message about an incorrect path is due to not having a forward slash at the front and at the end. Try it with
    Code:
    deconf dump /org/compiz
    and
    Code:
    deconf dump /org/compiz/
    which one gives the error message?

During the Raring development cycle I have only been able to use the Nvidia drivers for about 4 weeks without them breaking something. I tried three of the available Nvidia drivers and I got the same problem but with Nouveau things work just fine.

Oh, by the way, the changes (improvements?) to Unity since 12.04 mean that reset options that work in 12.04 do not work in 12.10 and now it seems that different reset options are needed for 13.04. I just hope that if the development branch does eventually become the replacement of interim releases that someone thinks of informing us development branch users of these changes to the code.

Regards.
    Thanks a lot! This worked for me

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Thee View Post
    Thanks a lot! This worked for me
    This also worked for me. Thanks to everyone for saving hours or even days figuring this out.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast