Thread: Advice on throttling bandwith by IP on home network

Beans

Question Advice on throttling bandwith by IP on home network

I have a ubuntu box (of course ) directly connected to a dir -655 Dlink router. My roommates hog my bandwidth. How do i control how much bandwidth each IP gets in this situation?

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Advice on throttling bandwith by IP on home network

If your roomates are peered with you in the same subnet, then you would have to apply rules at the router. If your roomates are "behind" you, with all their traffic coming in on one interface of your machine and being forwarded to your D-Link router on the other, you could write rules for them. I doubt that is how your network is set up.

I looked at the manual for your router and did not see anything that allows you to set bandwidth limits.

Managed switches with "rate-limiting" can do this, but they're pricey. If you had a router that supported dd-wrt (yours doesn't), you could use "quality of service" rules based on the MAC addresses of the client machines. You could put your machine(s) into the top category and your roommates' machines in a lower one.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; April 17th, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think the default Dlink firmware also offers quality of service, but I'm not 100% sure as both the dlink routers I have (615s) are running dd-wrt.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I looked at his router's manual again. There is a "QOS Engine" described there on page 36, but it does not look to me like it enables you to limit bandwidth by client address.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; April 17th, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

so there is no way to control other IP addresses unless i do it through the router. do you have any suggestions on the type of router i could buy that can do this properly? QOS will only allow me to set priorities btw, i played with that but its not satisfactory to me.

thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Depends on your needs and environment. I use a DIR-615 with DD-WRT but it only has 10/100 ports, not gigabit ports, so I have a gigabit switch attached to it so I get gigabit speeds internally.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

my needs r to control everyone who lives in my house . I would prefer one single item to buy (router) that can do all this.