Thread: Canon LBP3050 printer

Beans

Cool Canon LBP3050 printer

Hello guys,
    Anyone who knows how to install a canon LBP3050 printer on a (( ubuntu,kubuntu 12.04 x64 )) desktop?
    I've been searching and testing since last year...just succeed once on a kubuntu 12.04 x32 notebook.Sigh!!!

I had tried to use google translate reading that french post about installing Canon LBP3050...
    but translation and my limited english made me not succeed i guess.Or my intelligence sucks?haha.....who knows?

Anyway,anyone can tell me how to solve this problem?Thanks a billion!

P.S.My system is kubuntu 12.04 x64.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Solved]
    Problem Solved....according to Sivella's 7 post in :http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ight=canon+lbp
    I succeed to print something now.
    Thank you!Sivella
    Thank you!Others who had replied to my quetions and ready to reply my questions even just in their mind!
    Last edited by petercool; April 19th, 2013 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Solved the problem

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Searching for the way to install a Canon LBP3050 printer

Not what you wanted to hear, but ...

My Mom had a Canon printer - not the same model. There was some proprietary software for $50 that worked. We used the trial to verify that.
    In the end, I decided that getting her a natively supported printer from a manufacturer who supported current linux drivers was the better choice. We gave away the Canon and got either a Samsung or Brother - can't recall. I have both a Brother All-in-One and a Samsung laser printer here that "just work" with every version of Linux I have, even the scanning works great with gscan2pdf/sane out of the box.

I've read since that time that Canon makes linux drivers available on some non-USA websites, so you might find the drivers you need there. I dunno. There are multiple Linux hardware compatibility lists. Before purchasing any hardware, I check those. When Linux is supported, Windows is generally even better supported too.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

A quick Google search took me here: http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010177.asp
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Not what you wanted to hear, but ...

My Mom had a Canon printer - not the same model. There was some proprietary software for $50 that worked. We used the trial to verify that.
    In the end, I decided that getting her a natively supported printer from a manufacturer who supported current linux drivers was the better choice. We gave away the Canon and got either a Samsung or Brother - can't recall. I have both a Brother All-in-One and a Samsung laser printer here that "just work" with every version of Linux I have, even the scanning works great with gscan2pdf/sane out of the box.

I've read since that time that Canon makes linux drivers available on some non-USA websites, so you might find the drivers you need there. I dunno. There are multiple Linux hardware compatibility lists. Before purchasing any hardware, I check those. When Linux is supported, Windows is generally even better supported too.
    Thx,Canon only provide 64-bit rpm and 32-bit deb!!!What I want most is 64-bit deb! Sigh!
    I had tried to use alien to change rpm file to deb,but I just couldn't print anything.So I had tried different ways!Till now still not succeed!
    I also have a Brother all-in-one printer,but I haven't used it for a long time since I bought this laser printer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    A quick Google search took me here: http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010177.asp
    Don't know if that old driver still work for my laser printer.'Cause they already have 'Canon CAPT Printer Driver for Linux (2.50) '.
    So....Anyway,thx

Beans

to install the CAPT driver it would be best to delete all you have already set up:

please copy and paste back what you get from

sudo dpkg -l | grep Canon
    when you copy and paste this command into a terminal: use the top line of the terminal .....file.......Edit and down to Paste

__________________________________________________ ______________________
    for a renewed attempt at a 64bit install, Canon show how to delete any existing entries

1. Delete the registered printer from the ccpd daemon setup file.
    sudo /usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -x LBP3050
    2. Delete the printer's spooler registration.
    sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -x LBP3050
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

then you could best help us by showing a screenshot of Synaptic (package manager) with the entry ia32-libs

ie we need to know what you have installed

as Sivella insists

It is therefore necessary to manually install the ia32-libs package from a previous version ( 11.10 ).
    Last edited by pdc; April 18th, 2013 at 12:21 AM.

Beans

I had tried different methods according to many posts including that french guy about using ia32-libs from earlier ubuntu 11.10 too....but maybe some procedure not completely executed!such as some components not found or installed,so...maybe...that's the reason it didn't succeed to even print 1 page!
    Maybe i'll try the whole procedure again according to his article!I'm afraid that it still can't help any....sigh!Till one day i'll turn into an old 32-bit machine user again. Who knows?
    Thx for you advice!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can use the 32-bit Debian drivers, there is just a dependency with the ia32-libs package. If you install that (not certain what the actual name is), then 32-bit programs should work fine.

Nothing works, until it does. When we are doing something new, it is hard to tell if we are 1 or 20 steps from a working solution. After you get the ia32-libs package installed, I think you'll be almost there to a working configuration .... or time to do what I described in my initial reply. Good luck!

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Searching for the way to install a Canon LBP3050 printer

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    You can use the 32-bit Debian drivers, there is just a dependency with the ia32-libs package. If you install that (not certain what the actual name is), then 32-bit programs should work fine.

Nothing works, until it does. When we are doing something new, it is hard to tell if we are 1 or 20 steps from a working solution. After you get the ia32-libs package installed, I think you'll be almost there to a working configuration .... or time to do what I described in my initial reply. Good luck!
    I had tried to use 32-bit deb drivers,even a french guy's old ia32-libs package...not succeed!
    But today I tried the way according to Sivella's post #7 :http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ight=canon+lbp.
    I succeed to print now..hope it can last untill the printer declared dead one day.Amen!...
    Thanks for your answers!