Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Canon LBP3050 printer

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Beans
    13

    Cool Canon LBP3050 printer

    Hello guys,
    Anyone who knows how to install a canon LBP3050 printer on a (( ubuntu,kubuntu 12.04 x64 )) desktop?
    I've been searching and testing since last year...just succeed once on a kubuntu 12.04 x32 notebook.Sigh!!!

    I had tried to use google translate reading that french post about installing Canon LBP3050...
    but translation and my limited english made me not succeed i guess.Or my intelligence sucks?haha.....who knows?

    Anyway,anyone can tell me how to solve this problem?Thanks a billion!

    P.S.My system is kubuntu 12.04 x64.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Solved]
    Problem Solved....according to Sivella's 7 post in :http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ight=canon+lbp
    I succeed to print something now.
    Thank you!Sivella
    Thank you!Others who had replied to my quetions and ready to reply my questions even just in their mind!
    Last edited by petercool; April 19th, 2013 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Solved the problem

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Squidbilly-Land
    Beans
    12,920
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Searching for the way to install a Canon LBP3050 printer

    Not what you wanted to hear, but ...

    My Mom had a Canon printer - not the same model. There was some proprietary software for $50 that worked. We used the trial to verify that.
    In the end, I decided that getting her a natively supported printer from a manufacturer who supported current linux drivers was the better choice. We gave away the Canon and got either a Samsung or Brother - can't recall. I have both a Brother All-in-One and a Samsung laser printer here that "just work" with every version of Linux I have, even the scanning works great with gscan2pdf/sane out of the box.

    I've read since that time that Canon makes linux drivers available on some non-USA websites, so you might find the drivers you need there. I dunno. There are multiple Linux hardware compatibility lists. Before purchasing any hardware, I check those. When Linux is supported, Windows is generally even better supported too.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Metro Boston
    Beans
    13,052
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Searching for the way to install a Canon LBP3050 printer

    A quick Google search took me here: http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010177.asp
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

    Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Beans
    13

    Re: Searching for the way to install a Canon LBP3050 printer

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Not what you wanted to hear, but ...

    My Mom had a Canon printer - not the same model. There was some proprietary software for $50 that worked. We used the trial to verify that.
    In the end, I decided that getting her a natively supported printer from a manufacturer who supported current linux drivers was the better choice. We gave away the Canon and got either a Samsung or Brother - can't recall. I have both a Brother All-in-One and a Samsung laser printer here that "just work" with every version of Linux I have, even the scanning works great with gscan2pdf/sane out of the box.

    I've read since that time that Canon makes linux drivers available on some non-USA websites, so you might find the drivers you need there. I dunno. There are multiple Linux hardware compatibility lists. Before purchasing any hardware, I check those. When Linux is supported, Windows is generally even better supported too.
    Thx,Canon only provide 64-bit rpm and 32-bit deb!!!What I want most is 64-bit deb! Sigh!
    I had tried to use alien to change rpm file to deb,but I just couldn't print anything.So I had tried different ways!Till now still not succeed!
    I also have a Brother all-in-one printer,but I haven't used it for a long time since I bought this laser printer.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Beans
    13

    Re: Searching for the way to install a Canon LBP3050 printer

    Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    A quick Google search took me here: http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010177.asp
    Don't know if that old driver still work for my laser printer.'Cause they already have 'Canon CAPT Printer Driver for Linux (2.50) '.
    So....Anyway,thx

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Beans
    2,324

    Re: Searching for the way to install a Canon LBP3050 printer

    to install the CAPT driver it would be best to delete all you have already set up:

    please copy and paste back what you get from

    sudo dpkg -l | grep Canon
    when you copy and paste this command into a terminal: use the top line of the terminal .....file.......Edit and down to Paste

    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    for a renewed attempt at a 64bit install, Canon show how to delete any existing entries

    1. Delete the registered printer from the ccpd daemon setup file.
    sudo /usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -x LBP3050
    2. Delete the printer's spooler registration.
    sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -x LBP3050
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

    then you could best help us by showing a screenshot of Synaptic (package manager) with the entry ia32-libs

    ie we need to know what you have installed

    as Sivella insists

    It is therefore necessary to manually install the ia32-libs package from a previous version ( 11.10 ).
    Last edited by pdc; April 18th, 2013 at 12:21 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Beans
    13

    Re: Searching for the way to install a Canon LBP3050 printer

    I had tried different methods according to many posts including that french guy about using ia32-libs from earlier ubuntu 11.10 too....but maybe some procedure not completely executed!such as some components not found or installed,so...maybe...that's the reason it didn't succeed to even print 1 page!
    Maybe i'll try the whole procedure again according to his article!I'm afraid that it still can't help any....sigh!Till one day i'll turn into an old 32-bit machine user again. Who knows?
    Thx for you advice!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Squidbilly-Land
    Beans
    12,920
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Searching for the way to install a Canon LBP3050 printer

    You can use the 32-bit Debian drivers, there is just a dependency with the ia32-libs package. If you install that (not certain what the actual name is), then 32-bit programs should work fine.

    Nothing works, until it does. When we are doing something new, it is hard to tell if we are 1 or 20 steps from a working solution. After you get the ia32-libs package installed, I think you'll be almost there to a working configuration .... or time to do what I described in my initial reply. Good luck!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Beans
    13

    Thumbs up Re: Searching for the way to install a Canon LBP3050 printer

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    You can use the 32-bit Debian drivers, there is just a dependency with the ia32-libs package. If you install that (not certain what the actual name is), then 32-bit programs should work fine.

    Nothing works, until it does. When we are doing something new, it is hard to tell if we are 1 or 20 steps from a working solution. After you get the ia32-libs package installed, I think you'll be almost there to a working configuration .... or time to do what I described in my initial reply. Good luck!
    I had tried to use 32-bit deb drivers,even a french guy's old ia32-libs package...not succeed!
    But today I tried the way according to Sivella's post #7 :http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ight=canon+lbp.
    I succeed to print now..hope it can last untill the printer declared dead one day.Amen!...
    Thanks for your answers!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •