Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 up - video required

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

12.04 up - video required

to install 12.04, is it arequirement that my gpu support unity? I removed Ubuntu from my new Dell laptop since the uefi things were rather messy and it "decided" to just boot Windows 8 unless I call up the BIOS boot menu. So, my Dad got a new laptop. I drove up there last week to fix the things he couldn't get working. As a result he no longer needed an old Compaq 2500 I had set up for him a few years ago. I wiped it and installed 11.04 to start. It says the gpu doesn't support unity. So, before I burn a 12.xx disk (32-bit), I'd like to know if the livecd will even let me install it. thanks.
    Last edited by squakie; June 26th, 2013 at 03:54 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: 12.04 up - video required

I've got a rather crummy old VIA graphics chip, which is useless for anything fancy, on my desktop computer, and I've had no trouble installing and running Ubuntu 12.04

You might not be able to run full-blown Unity, but there should still be an option of using Unity 2D in 12.04 and Gnome-fallback.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you tried installing 12.04 you'd at least get unity2d.
    Unity2d will run on some really old hardware, though as with anything of age, it'll run slow.
    But unfortunately, while Unity2d was a great option, it only lives in two distros, 11.10, and 12.04.
    11.04 was a gnome2 base system and used gnome's classic layout as the fallback
    11.10 and 12.04 added unity2d as the fallback for hardware that can't utilize full-on unity.
    12.10 onward merged the codebase of unity and unity2d, so it's now one system.
    Personally, I haven't had the time to mingle with older hardware, so I don't know how well older systems run with the newer unity versions, aka 12.10, or 13.04(beta).
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, I guess I'll give it a try. I'll need to use the alternate image for now as this old laptop currently only has 512mb memory, and some of that's used by the video so there is really less.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you've only got 512MB of memory, you might be better off with one of the lighter-weight versions, such as Xubuntu.

Or take a look at LXLE: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2125764.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    If you've only got 512MB of memory, you might be better off with one of the lighter-weight versions, such as Xubuntu.

Or take a look at LXLE: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2125764.
    +1
    I agree totally.

I suggest Xubuntu 12.04, which I am now running on my brand spanking new desktop (Intel-i5-3570K, 8GB ram) and even though some may think that hardware is over the top for that OS, it suits me down to the ground.

I could not get on with unity at all, even after trying it for some time as it just got in the way of me doing things, so I looked at the other DEs, and XFCE fitted me completely; it is very like gnome 2 in many ways, which I loved, so Xubuntu is where I am and I think Xubuntu is where I shall stay.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I could not get on with unity at all, even after trying it for some time as it just got in the way of me doing things, so I looked at the other DEs, and XFCE fitted me completely; it is very like gnome 2 in many ways, which I loved, so Xubuntu is where I am and I think Xubuntu is where I shall stay.
    Damn right you are. Couldn't agree more with you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I already tried lubuntu 12.10. My 4306 wireless adapter requires using the firmware cutter and the .o file to get working (using the b43.zip file to build the /lib/firmware/ folder didn't work either). This requires 2 rmmod's to test and the first rmmod I attempt the system crashes - every time. So I that's how I got to Ubuntu 11.04 and got my wireless working. I have an update coming to change the memory to 1 gig, but in the mean time just wanted to try to get Ubuntu installed. I triedthe 12.04 32-bit installation image and it runs extremely slow and never asks any questions beyond the installation language. After enough time (about 10 minutes with nothing coming back to the screen), it also crashes with a dump trace on the screen. At least the installation never got anywhere, so the hard disk was never touched so I can at least boot 11.04 yet. I may try the 12.04 alternate image later to see if for some reason the installation process will at least run. For now, given the problem with lubuntu 12.10, I see no reason to try any other mods of ubuntu as this time. The core is still the same, and that seems to be where the problem is. If the 12.04 alternate image doesn't work then I'll just wait for the memory upgrade and see if it makes any difference or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

If this is our guy
    http://www.cnet.com/laptops/compaq-p...-30834272.html
    I would go for Lubuntu 13.04, though it is in beta. Ubuntu is not going to be a pleasure, not even with more memory.

The BCM 4306's are usually not difficult to work with, but be aware that there are several kinds of them, each needing its own procedure for installing.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, Ubuntu with Unity would probably work, but it would be like that guy that got Ubuntu to boot on an 8bit, it probably run at a snails pace.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast