Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: buying a new computer, need advice.

Beans

Re: buying a new computer, need advice.

I guess I just need to do a search for refurbished systems and see what I can find. I won't get one unless it has a warranty of at least a year.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You might find a retailer with old inventory or a Windows 7 system. Some even are giving the Windows 8 installer with those old inventory items.
    Even if UEFI, it will not have secure boot, so a lot easier to work with.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Well,the only thing with that is if they offer a warranty you usually void that warranty when you install a new OS. That's why I'm looking for one with Ubuntu preinstalled. If it wasn't for that I would just buy one of the refurbished or used systems to do what I wanted with it.

Also, I thought I would put this here just in case anyone is reading this (or will be) that is looking for a ubuntu computer. I sent an email to System76 and they said blu-ray isn't compatible with Ubuntu so that's why they don't offer it. So I already don't trust ZaReason because they are selling systems with parts that wouldn't work. Waste of money and time.

Beans
    Hidden!

Don't rule out the second-hand or refurbished systems! Tell the vendor that you intend to install linux and ask for a written warranty to be valid for that kind of usage! I think some refurbishing guys will even sell a computer without any operating system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Don't rule out the second-hand or refurbished systems! Tell the vendor that you intend to install linux and ask for a written warranty to be valid for that kind of usage! I think some refurbishing guys will even sell a computer without any operating system.
    Hmm, really? That would be awesome. I'm not to hot with the System76 design (as looks go) so if I can find a computer I like the you explain I will be sooooo happy. Interesting. Let's see what I can find. Off to Google!

Beans

so, I have found an Alienware I like for a dang good price. I have always wanted an alienware just because of how freaking cool they look but does anyone know if you can get all the backlite stuff working in Ubuntu? And the ability to customize it and everything?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob-Gates View Post
    so, I have found an Alienware I like for a dang good price. I have always wanted an alienware just because of how freaking cool they look but does anyone know if you can get all the backlite stuff working in Ubuntu? And the ability to customize it and everything?
    You know it would really help if you told people the model# of the laptop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    You know it would really help if you told people the model# of the laptop.
    You know, all alienware laptops have the same LED effects in them. so it doesn't matter which model# it is. Thank you for your suggestion.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you are still interested in Dell, they have two sites with refirbished systems that I have had good luck with. They often have them available with No Operating system, so you can do a full Ubuntu Install without worring about Microsquish.

Dell Auctions
    http://www.dellauction.com/

DFS
    http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast