Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Never Going Back to Windows

Beans

Re: Never Going Back to Windows

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I like his spirit. Why try to pour a cold bucket of water on him?
    Yeah, no doubt. Time was you'd post something like the OP on a Linux forum and it was all high-fives and "welcome to the club". Nowadays it's "don't be such a zealot" and "You'll regret it". I'm glad attitudes like this weren't around when I switched to Linux (ten years ago).

Come on guys, lighten up; someone has found something that makes him happy. Be happy for him.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by fortune2008 View Post
    @warren did you know steam developed a dedicated client for linux so its a short while before we get those games
    Depends on the game. I doubt we'll see anything like Tomb Raider or BioShock Infinite on Linux any time soon.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

With Windows it is tempting to run cracked versions of software that you cannot afford and run the risk of trojans or rootkits.
    Not that I would ever have done that

Now I use Linux all my software is FOSS and legitimate. I have everything that I need and more good stuff is coming soon. (Novacut, Lightworks)

Beans

Amen, I'm in the same boat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you ever join the real corporate world you'll be using Windows for sure. They'll give you a locked down laptop with office on it, and tell you to use it. You'll be limited to what you can install on it. Other libre or open office formats will not be accepted. PowerPoint will be necessary.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Yeah, no doubt. Time was you'd post something like the OP on a Linux forum and it was all high-fives and "welcome to the club". Nowadays it's "don't be such a zealot" and "You'll regret it". I'm glad attitudes like this weren't around when I switched to Linux (ten years ago).

Come on guys, lighten up; someone has found something that makes him happy. Be happy for him.
    There is nothing wrong with going to Linux, but I would not view it as exclusionary. Meaning that it is possible to be both Linux and MS Windows clubs, and not be a pariah in either just for being a part in "the other" club.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    If you ever join the real corporate world you'll be using Windows for sure. They'll give you a locked down laptop with office on it, and tell you to use it. You'll be limited to what you can install on it. Other libre or open office formats will not be accepted. PowerPoint will be necessary.
    Unless that corporation is Google. Or Red hat. Or Novell, IBM, or Amazon. For all anyone knows, the OP is the CEO of a fortune 500 company, or retired, or a homemaker, or a 13-year-old kid who won't be hitting the workforce for a decade (and who the heck knows what we'll be using then?).

Beans

@OP - Well done. Good for you.

Welcome to the world where dual-boot means Ubuntu/Fedora or Debian/openSUSE or Mageia/Gentoo.

Switching from Windows to Linux is not like changing provider or brand. It's ditching them altogether. Using Windows at work is permissible because it's done under duress.

Beans

Re: Never Going Back to Windoze

I will also never go back. I had a total of 4 desktop computers in 2006 and tried a dual install with ubuntu and windows. But eventually my windows crashed and I had to get rid of it. Then another one of the computer's widows crashed and I was able to boot off ubuntu off of a usb and repair the broken system from there. Eventually all of the windows failed me and I was using linux on all systems. I have never looked back or been in so much control of my computer!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I hate Ubuntu, the worst Linux Distro ever.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast