Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Noisy fan on Dell 17r 5721 running 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Noisy fan on Dell 17r 5721 running 12.04

A few years back, I (unknowingly) had a computer that had the BIOS quiet feature turned on, & the end result was quite the opposite of quiet, it would go by itself and for no apparent reason from quiet to Space shuttle liftoff, then back to quiet.

If you are not used to going inside your Bios, there are lots of nooks and crevices in there, but I bet if you look everywhere, you will find the speed/quiet feature. A telltale sign you're closing in is when you see rpm numbers (revolution per minute of your fan). If you want to find where's the dang thing a little faster, go to Dell's support website, you should find your specific* bios pdf manual

*During boot, it should display the BIOS revision # you're running
    DocJ

Beans

The latest is I got no luck from Dell's own website forum except for a rather snotty reply suggesting I hadn't looked hard enough and offering three solutions, which I had already seen and none of which worked. Because Dell they wouldn't sell me a laptop preloaded with Ubuntu I loaded it myself. Then, becase windows wouldn't allow me to partition the hard drive to duel boot it with Ubuntu I simply got rid of windows altogether. Now have voided the warranty, at least as far as software support is concerned. The upshot is I still have a fan running constantly at a noisy 5800rpm and no way to slow it down.

docj, I had another look in the BIOS and the only mention of temperatures and fan speeds is under diagnostics.

Any other suggestions? I'd go back to 10.04 which I used on my previous Dell if it would only shut the fan up.
    Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello!

More than likely, going to an older version will make matters worse. In any case, do NOT manually decrease the speed of the fan. You won't get better performance. What you may get is a trip to the repair shop.

You have hybrid ATI/Intel graphics, for which is the industry has not given good support for Linux. The same goes for Nvidia/Intel hybrids.

You have a couple of choices:

1. Start here and read through a very long thread for what has worked for others.

2. Uninstall any proprietary drivers you may have installed to get back to the open source Radeon driver that is included when you install Ubuntu. Then use vga_switcheroo as described here.

Best of luck! This is a thorny problem.

QIII
    Last edited by QIII; April 18th, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
    My Blog
    Ubuntu Help Pages I'm constructing: AMDGPU and AMDGPU-PRO
    Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Hi QIII,
    Thanks for the reply. I have to say I found the first suggestion daunting when I opened the link, the second one slightly less so. Also the first link needs to update the BIOS for which I would need windows. I have wiped windows from the computer so this is an additional problem. I have managed to achieve some success using the terminal, but I am not really very computerate and have read some stuff with people having hanging problems with switcheroo. Not something I would contemplate with great relish, considering my lack of knowledge. Just one last question, is it ridiculous to consider changing the graphics card (or whatever) to solve the problem rather than going for a software change that seems to have little success? I know as little about hardware as I do about software, but any advice would be welcome (I didn't have this problem with my last Dell inspiron running 10.04, must have had different cards).

Beans

A quick update. I tried the second option (switcheroo), but got nowhere. In the terminal it just denied me permission from the second command on. Do you think I will just have to junk this computer and get one that doesn't sound like a small jet taking off in my sitting room all the time? If so, which laptops do work properly with Ubuntu? I think I've given up on Dell.

Beans

Another thought i'd like feedback on, could I use another form of linux to stop my fan running full pelt all the time or will all open source operating systems run into the same problem? Does anyone here know enough about the other systems to offer advice?
    Cheers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Doyle View Post
    Another thought i'd like feedback on, could I use another form of linux to stop my fan running full pelt all the time or will all open source operating systems run into the same problem? Does anyone here know enough about the other systems to offer advice?
    Cheers
    I'm using tlp to control fan on my Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 laptop.

Beans

Hi yxw,
    Thanks for the reply, I had pretty much given up hope on this issue. I have downloaded tip with what seemed to be no problems. How does it control your fan speed? Is it supposed to do it automatically or is there a way of getting into it and setting it up to your specifications?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi,

what xyw meant is: TLP is a power management tool that mitigates power consumption of your laptop. TLP does not control the fan directly, but a cooler cpu means less fan noise in most cases.
    Last edited by linrunner; May 19th, 2013 at 07:34 PM.

Beans

Hi linrunner,
    Ok, I understand. In that case I think I have simply come up again to the main problem of there being no way of overriding the BIOS controling of the fan on this machine with Ubuntu, though I appreciate the attempt to help. The fan is as fast and noisy as it ever was. The one thing that annoys me is that being not very computerate I looked up the list of Dell machines certified by canonical and the 17R was one of them. Clearly it shouldn't be on the list since an internet search shows that this is a major problem. I guess I will have to save up and buy something else. Maybe it would be worth loading it with windows and selling it for whatever I could get.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast