Thread: What type of colours is used for miniature painting?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What type of colours is used for miniature painting?

Hey there,

I am wondering if anyone in the cafe knows what type of cloulors are being used to paint miniatures like Game of Thrones miniatures, etc. Are these oil based colours or water based colours? Can you point me to some sample colours in Amazon or so.

Thank you.
    Ubuntu 10.04
    ATI 3470
    4 GB RAM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What type of colours is used for miniature painting?

The paints I use for wargaming fgurines (Warhammer 40k) are oil-based. I use Games Workshop paints, which are pretty good, though a little on the expensive side. There are other brands that are just as good, at a slightly lower price.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

They're acrylic, so you thin them with water but they're not water or oil based. Just search for "miniatures paint" Legolas, there are plenty of different brands. You'll probably want to try a few and find what you like. Quality is variable in my experience. I've used Citadel paints (the Games Workshop stuff) a fair bit because they're easy to get, they're ok but nothing special. I am tempted to try out Army Builder, I'm not entirely convinced that it's really as easy as they claim, but it's worth a crack IMO.

If you're just starting out then the quality of your paint probably won't make much difference, but make sure you get decent brushes. They don't need to be sable or unicorn fur, but don't buy nasty cheap ones. Get lots of different sizes and look after them properly. Always, always wash them out, pick out any stray hairs, and always stand them upright with the bristles uppermost. I like to keep the little plastic sleeves on them that they come with. Don't ever paint straight from the pot either, you'll just dry up lots of paint. Get an old tile or plate and use it to mix only as much as you need at a time.
    Last edited by Paqman; April 15th, 2013 at 11:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you very much for the replies. I decided to buy Citadel Brush Set andCitadel Hobby Starter Set. I want to buy more brush sizes because the miniatures I am getting from darkswordminiatures require painting eyes and other small limbs. Hopefully the brush set is good enough for it.
    Ubuntu 10.04
    ATI 3470
    4 GB RAM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Eugh, eyes. Never easy to paint.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Miniature colors.

Sorry.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

. No such type of color exist!
    Ubuntu 10.04
    ATI 3470
    4 GB RAM.