Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not too powerful but very physically robust laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Not too powerful but very physically robust laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Although with an SSD, that hard drive active protection feature suddenly becomes moot.
    This. Definitely swap out any old spinny drives for an SSD if you're after durability.

Beans

thank you all for your replies. I have to admit that the toughbooks do intrigue me very much : )
    I've always been suspicious about second hand electronics, but maybe that's just a prejudice.
    All the other models you suggested kind of exceed mu budget if new, so I'm wondering if pointing to a used toughbook could be a safe option.
    The only doubt I have about them is that if they are thought to be very durable, would it be not better to mount amd processors that heat much less than intel (from what I've heard)?
    Too bad none of them have a numeric keypad!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sowdust View Post
    . . .
    The only doubt I have about them is that if they are thought to be very durable, would it be not better to mount amd processors that heat much less than intel (from what I've heard)?
    . . .
    I expect that by concentrating upon a small, well researched set of hardware specifications Though Book can be confident that they kit works as they and the purchaser would expect. To support a wide ranging ecosystem of hardware would I think increase cause an increase in testing & quality control, this may well cause the product to rise in price.

The old mantra "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" may well apply in this case.

Beans

I've found the HP dv6000 series to be pretty durable. I've had mine for 2 years and its gone through a lot. I am sure a used one would be worth in your price range. However, I will say that HP is not very forgiving in terms of helping you with any hardware driver issues. I've had a fair deal of problems with them in the past. Dell is much more willing to work with Linux users.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by usernforce View Post
    I've found the HP dv6000 series to be pretty durable.
    Just a warning and heads up about buying any second hand dv6000. That range had a worldwide recall and a free fix due to a manufacturing fault. The machine needed to be under warranty or 12 months out (from memory) for the free fix. Mine died a horrible death about a month outside of this and I was left with effectively a paper weight. Oh, and an 80Gb hard drive and 2Gb of RAM. The machine though is useless. Unless I decide to replace the motherboard, which I don't. I now have a Toshiba Satellite Pro which I love. I don't move it around at all though so couldn't vouch for its toughness ...

As for the HP, the symptoms of the fault are that the wireless dies first. The machine just no longer sees the wireless card, as though there's not one in the machine. Soon after that the motherboard dies and that's it. This was not just my machine; HP describes it exactly like that. So if you have a DV6000 and the wireless is suddenly not recognised, prepare thyself! Death is imminent.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; April 21st, 2013 at 04:02 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12